Dual carrage Roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just wondering if I'm on my own in doing this.

On the approach from one side both lanes are marked for intended direction of travel. Get into the correct lane. Found that if I take the correct posistion in the correct lane, which is the right hand lane. Drivers will push past on my right, forcing me to move towards the left hand lane, this causes the drivers in that lane to panic/become nervous with a bike on their right hand side.

In order to get around this & make the movement of faster traffic easier I move to the right of the right hand lane. Still problems with not being seen by some drivers, so not perfect. It does mean that I'm in the correct lane when I get to the roundabout & able to take up the centre of the lane.

Anyone else approach a similar roundabout in a different way.

Sounds rather complicated for an older person like me.

If there is room to pass you on your right and you are safe then sounds fine.

If you don't want to be passed on your right then move further right.

Could you ride near the centre line of the 2 lanes leaving room on your right while staying clear of traffic on your left?

Of course, not been there and have no idea of the road layout or carriageway widths.

ChrisKH

Guru
I did this recently and a large HGV vehicle took the left lane and overtook me on the left of the roundabout whilst turning right (as I was also turning right). He couldn't be bothered to wait for me.

We have a lot of roundabouts here in Basingstoke!

I genearally take them on my bike exactly as I would in a car, that is move into the correct lane and to own that lane. If they are too impatent to drive a little slower behind you** then it is up to them to find a way round by going into the next lane.

So go primary.

If you sit on one side of the lane or the other it is ok if the cars are all small but problem is that you will be under the back wheel of a bigger van/bus/lorry if you allow them to hog the lane. Let a little one past and a big one will go through too.

I have not had any abuse by this method if done politely.

(**you are not holding up traffic overall as a slow bike on the roundabout will let more other traffic on into the gap in front)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I go dual carrigway round abouts like a car. Stick my right arm out and move into primary. Be confident and if you need to, sit over on the right.
A car can get as close to me as it likes, they can either pass me on the left if they really want or wait.
If i dont think they have seen me i keep my arm out and might wave it around if i feel the need. If they want to get close then i will go even slower, then power around the RAB and leave them.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
marinyork said:
Are you turning right and is the roundabout traffic dominant in the straight on directions?

Taking the last exit off the roundabout, short of doing a U-turn.
But the lanes are marked on the approach as both lanes for straight on. Which happens to be the second exit, not the first. Get to the roundabout & the right hand lane is marked for second & third exits. Third exit being taken.

Just wondered if anyone else did the same sort of thing, moving out of the way of faster moving traffic to make it easier for them.
Sat in the primary posistion in the right hand lane leaves a gap that many will force their way through.

To far to the left or right & there's a 100 foot drop.

Will1985

Über Member
Tricky situation. I start to move over at about 150 yards on the faster DCs, first to the middle line and making eye contact with any drivers behind. Usually once they see you looking I find that they will slow down more and let you ride in front (in the middle of the lane).

I'd rather annoy a driver than take the submissive approach sticking to the left of the roundabout and getting hit by cars coming on or off the roundabout at speed.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Will1985 said:
Tricky situation. I start to move over at about 150 yards on the faster DCs, first to the middle line and making eye contact with any drivers behind. Usually once they see you looking I find that they will slow down more and let you ride in front (in the middle of the lane).

I'd rather annoy a driver than take the submissive approach sticking to the left of the roundabout and getting hit by cars coming on or off the roundabout at speed.

I think I've annoyed a few drivers over the years, doing whats been said here.
Many can't seem to accept the fact that from a standing start, uphill, I have no chance of matching them for the power available to me, as a result I will be slower away from the lights.

I do use lane centre when approaching the roundabout & whilst on it. Just wondered if I was the only one.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Over The Hill said:
We have a lot of roundabouts here in Basingstoke!

I genearally take them on my bike exactly as I would in a car, that is move into the correct lane and to own that lane. If they are too impatent to drive a little slower behind you** then it is up to them to find a way round by going into the next lane.

So go primary.

If you sit on one side of the lane or the other it is ok if the cars are all small but problem is that you will be under the back wheel of a bigger van/bus/lorry if you allow them to hog the lane. Let a little one past and a big one will go through too.

I have not had any abuse by this method if done politely.

(**you are not holding up traffic overall as a slow bike on the roundabout will let more other traffic on into the gap in front)

+1 for OtH. - I've got a triple lane one on my commute (OtH might know the Eastrop roundabout) - take it like a car and make yourself as big as possible with plenty of observation and eye contact. If the roundabout is big enough, somebody will find a way around you if they want to. It'll be a judgement call between standing your ground or giving way. Even if you do give way, try to slow and keep your position in the lane rather than be nudged between lanes or away from primary.

Even if you are treated like crap, try to let it go as roundabouts aren't a good place for 'discussions' ;).

gavintc

Guru
I generally regard roundabouts as my time to get up to speed. I will rest slightly before arriving at a RBT, allowing me to go into a sprint for the time on it. I try to keep with the cars and take a car line throughout.

Motorway junction roundabouts are my exception to the rule as they are long and the cars are moving much faster. In these cases, I will generally hold a primary in the left lane and move across to lane 2 before each exit. On these ones, it is worth having a judicious look behind when crossing the motorway entry slips as cars start their accelaration on the RBT.

Top Bottom