Dualit Toasters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
A bit of an existential crisis in the Tenkaykev household this morning. We have a 17 year old Dualit toaster, I put a couple of slices in and one slice was only browned on one side. A quick visit to the Dualit website and I saw that spares were readily available, with heating elements costing £7.60. The mechanical / electric timer switch costs £3.60, both come with full fitting instructions.
I was just about to place my order for a new element when I had a thought, the toaster has a "One Slice" option via an illuminated neon switch. It's been permanently on two slice mode since purchase, but our daughter and grandson are staying with us for a couple of weeks. I flicked the rocker switch ( there's no indicator as to which is the one slice or two position ) and lo and behold perfect toast again. When I took the bottom access panel off I saw that there's a central element and two end elements. With one slice selected the central element will, of course, toast one side of the bread in the adjacent slot. Mystery solved and looking forward to many more years of excellent toast and that audible "Clunk" as the mechanical timer disconnects the power.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Sometimes it pays to pay more for items rather than buy cheapo stuff that lasts for 12 months, then you have to throw it away.

Good result

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Great news for Prosecco drinkers and Waitrose/John Lewis customers.
Wonder if anyone has told David Cameron, but then he would have probably just chucked his and bought another with that £10m payout in the bank :smile:

Having said that I'm just about to slip a couple of slices in JL machine bought down here from s bunch of what I think are JL returns. I haven't yet joined the Dualit illuminati.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A bit of an existential crisis in the Tenkaykev household this morning. We have a 17 year old Dualit toaster, I put a couple of slices in and one slice was only browned on one side. A quick visit to the Dualit website and I saw that spares were readily available, with heating elements costing £7.60. The mechanical / electric timer switch costs £3.60, both come with full fitting instructions.
I was just about to place my order for a new element when I had a thought, the toaster has a "One Slice" option via an illuminated neon switch. It's been permanently on two slice mode since purchase, but our daughter and grandson are staying with us for a couple of weeks. I flicked the rocker switch ( there's no indicator as to which is the one slice or two position ) and lo and behold perfect toast again. When I took the bottom access panel off I saw that there's a central element and two end elements. With one slice selected the central element will, of course, toast one side of the bread in the adjacent slot. Mystery solved and looking forward to many more years of excellent toast and that audible "Clunk" as the mechanical timer disconnects the power.
I cant believe you've only just discovered this function ^_^ apparently is not good to toast thin air and Dualit recommend using the 1 slice function to prolong heating element life. However they are so well built, as you've demonstrated, it may only reduce element life from 50 to 25 years.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I was given a Dualit by an England footballer, his wife wanted a new one that matched the new kitchen:wacko:. Not sure I would buy one they do seem a little pricey. We will see how it lasts.

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
I cant believe you've only just discovered this function ^_^ apparently is not good to toast thin air and Dualit recommend using the 1 slice function to prolong heating element life. However they are so well built, as you've demonstrated, it may only reduce element life from 50 to 25 years.
I've never seen the need for the switch, who in their right mind would only have one slice of toast 🤔😮

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've never owned a toaster.
my gran had one of these ones...
1628771835085.png

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
On a slightly more serious note, todays toast shenanigans gave me the opportunity to talk about the Maillard reaction with our 11 year old Grandson. Who knows, it may trigger an interest in cooking / science / chemistry and be a diversion from Roblox / TikTok 🤔

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Can you fit a slice of pre-cut bread in without a bit sticking out?

Might get one if you can.

gbb

Legendary Member
The elements do go in them, i replaced a couple some years ago in a former company. Mind, it did make about 20 slices a day ^_^

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
Can you fit a slice of pre-cut bread in without a bit sticking out?

Might get one if you can.
If you take a slice of your favourite bread to the nearest John Lewis store and check that it fits ok. I sometimes turn the slice of bread upside down mid toasting if there's a bit sticking out. It's easy to do as there's a counterbalanced lever that raises and lowers the bread ( it doesn't pop up after toasting but keeps the toast warm inside the toaster ) The counterbalanced lever is what I was referring to when I mentioned whacking it to see how high in the air you can get the toast to fly.