Dublin to Galway on quiet roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Three days planned.

Then he can split first day in two or not as he pleases. Sure it is no biggie and as we all know touring plans often change and are rarely fixed.

TigCshaff

HI Steveindenmark,
Did you manage to cross Ireland from Dublin to Galaway on quiet roads? Considering it this Summer and have looked at Greenway but can only find sketchy info. We're not concerned about poor roads or cross country as using MB.

Sixmile

Veteran
HI Steveindenmark,
Did you manage to cross Ireland from Dublin to Galaway on quiet roads? Considering it this Summer and have looked at Greenway but can only find sketchy info. We're not concerned about poor roads or cross country as using MB.

I've done a fair bit of this route and it's a mixture of surfaces. From Dublin city centre, you've around 10 miles of decent-ish greenway/cycle lanes. From there towards 'Mary Lynches pub' you follow the Royal Canal Way which is predominately a walking route but is doable on a MTB. I did a few sections on a road bike, not ideal but again, manageable. The closer you get to Mullingar the better the trail gets. The section from Mullingar to Athlone is simply fantastic. Straight, flat and 2 hours of traffic free cycling. I've only cycled beyond this once (coming back from Fr Ted's house in Clare) and some of the backroads towards Galway were nothing short of bone shattering. I ended up just sticking to the shoulder of main roads.

The link above is for the Western Greenway which is totally separate from what you're looking to do.

TigCshaff

Thanks for the tips Sixmile. My aim is to get across Ireland, as planning to do a circumnavigation of the world over many years:bicycle::bicycle:and this route seemed the most obvious and easiest ?? Rather than a coastal route. Have now made bookings for cycling the Rhine, so saving Ireland for a few more years time

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for the tips Sixmile. My aim is to get across Ireland, as planning to do a circumnavigation of the world over many years:bicycle::bicycle:and this route seemed the most obvious and easiest ?? Rather than a coastal route. Have now made bookings for cycling the Rhine, so saving Ireland for a few more years time
Getting East to West is doable in a day, if you feel like pushing yourself. Once outside of Dublin, it gets easier.

Top Bottom