Dublin to Galway cycle route

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by classic33, 9 Nov 2014.

1. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Dublin to Galway, by bike
    "Cyclists will soon be able to travel from Dublin to Galway along the first cross-country off-road trail in Ireland.

For both cyclists and walkers, the route is certain to quickly become a tourist asset and a boost to businesses lining the way. In alliance with Roughan & O’Donovan, AECOM will provide all engineering services from concept, feasibility, route selection, planning approval, detailed design and construction supervision.

The scheme is to be based on the highly successful Great Western Greenway in Mayo, which broadly follows the route of the renowned Westport to Achill Railway which closed in 1937."

Coast-to-Coast Greenway

The Brewer, Brandane, Lilmo and 2 others like this.
  2. Brandane

Brandane Fair weather cyclist.

That's definitely one for the "to do list", once it's finished. Don't like this bit though:

"A 43km section costing €4 million between Mullingar and Athlone is due to be opened in 2015.

Another two in Kildare and Meath are at “shovel ready” stage and are awaiting further funding."

We are still waiting for the completion of NCN74 between Glasgow and Larkhall, which according to my Sustrans book published in 2000, will be completed by 2005! Presently it is a horrible road for cycling.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2014
  3. The Brewer

The Brewer Shed Dweller

That takes in some lovely country side and a few old haunts from my childhhood. Sister inlaw lives in Galway ...mmmmm keeping an eye on this one

4. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

I reckon by the time it's complete the kids will have left home and I'll be able to do this, just need to persuade Mr Summerdays that bikes and Ireland are possible, I know the first thing he will mention!! Rain!!! It always rains, and yet I don't remember the rain when I think of childhood holidays with my relatives.

classic33 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    classic33

I had relatives, completely new to cycling, get caught out in the "short" ride from Mayo to Clare.
    Over two inches of rain in an hour.

6. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

Irish rain often seems very soft and quite light, it just falls for a long time:rolleyes:

classic33 likes this.
  7. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

Thread revival!

I'm planning a few days cycling at the start of May along the completed part of this route. Has anyone been on it?

I'm planning on driving to Kells and leaving my car at a friends, then cycling from Kells to Mullingar then joining the trail to Athlone, stay over then back the next day. It'll be my first overnight solo cycling trip so if anyone has any good advice specifically related to this route it'd be much appreciated!

Last edited: 8 Apr 2016
  8. OP
    OP
    classic33

summerdays likes this.
  9. Broadside

Broadside Veteran

Ride the Greenway all the way to Achill. If you get the right weather it is one if the most beautiful places. I was there in April 2015, it doesn't really look like Ireland in this pic but it is!

Attached Files:

tyred and classic33 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    classic33

You're right, it isn't Ireland. The rain is missing!

11. jags

jags Veteran

mullingar to athlone is up and running i know a guy that cycled it 2 weeks ago he said it was super.

Sixmile and classic33 like this.
  12. jags

jags Veteran

it doesn't rain as much as u guys think.more or less the same as the uk.

classic33 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    classic33

I'm more for the West Coast myself. Or County Clare's East Coast.

jags likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    classic33

Just the N6(M6) to avoid now as you enter County Galway. Which is where landowners want you to go.

15. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

Does the greenway continue west beyond Athlone? I know of the greenway from Galway to Achill but the part in between isn't greenway, or is part of it? Your pictures are great btw.

I have only heard great things about it so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing it for myself. Such a great project.

jags likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice