Dublin to Galway cycle route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Does the greenway continue west beyond Athlone? I know of the greenway from Galway to Achill but the part in between isn't greenway, or is part of it? Your pictures are great btw.
Such a great project.
Not to date.
http://www.galwaytodublincycleway.ie/
And it may have to avoid Galway altogether
Please read the Take Note at the base of the piece.

jags

Guru
i hope to get over there in the next few weeks i think the last 6 miles or maybe km is loose chippings but still good to cycle on thats my info anyway.

Sixmile

Veteran
I've downloaded the 'Old Rail Trail' (Mullingar to Athlone) and the 'Royal Canal Greenway' (Meath to Longford County) but neither give any indication on the surface. I know the Rail Trail is road quality tarmac but I'm curious to know if the Canal greenway is suitable for a road bike or would I be better missing it or bringing the hybrid instead.

jags

Guru
I've downloaded the 'Old Rail Trail' (Mullingar to Athlone) and the 'Royal Canal Greenway' (Meath to Longford County) but neither give any indication on the surface. I know the Rail Trail is road quality tarmac but I'm curious to know if the Canal greenway is suitable for a road bike or would I be better missing it or bringing the hybrid instead.
i would take the hybrid just to be on the safe side.one of the lads in our cycling group cycles a lot of the greenways he reckoned hybrid is best.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Gods own country for cycling and basically everything else.
What do they say, "You'll never beat the Banner!"

Sixmile

Veteran
Sorry I don't know, the bit I am familiar with is from Westport to Achill.

Just to update this. I did the Mullingar to Athlone greenway, starting from Kells Co Meath then Athlone to Mullingar to Trim via the canal path. The greenway sections are fantastic for a road bike, most of the canal way is ok but the last 5 or 6 mile of the canal path that I travelling was not suitable for a road bike. Couldn't wait to get off it and onto country roads.

Next week I'm heading to Newport (just north of Westport) with the family and we're bringing the bikes to head up to Achill Island for a day. Any tips or POIs for a young family? We plan on doing the girls' favourite activity, throwing stones into water, then hopefully finding the odd nice wee place to stop.

Broadside

Guru
I love Newport because I have a lot of family there, but aside from being a small town there isn't a great deal to do there for a young family. There is a quay that you can walk around and go across the old railway bridge. There's a famous butchers Kelly's with a tea room, they export sausages and black pudding internationally from this little shop.

Mulranny beach is nice for young kids which is half way to Achill, well worth stopping. The hotel just above the beach is a nice place to stop for
Lunch as well. There is Yvonne's tea room on the side of the Greenway which gets well recommended, and Nevin's pub is excellent with very good food, surprisingly good.

Above all the area is beautiful if you get the right weather. When in Mulranny there is a road that goes out to the sea channel and you often see pods of dolphins along there sheltering in from the Atlantic.

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
I love Newport because I have a lot of family there, but aside from being a small town there isn't a great deal to do there for a young family. There is a quay that you can walk around and go across the old railway bridge. There's a famous butchers Kelly's with a tea room, they export sausages and black pudding internationally from this little shop.

Mulranny beach is nice for young kids which is half way to Achill, well worth stopping. The hotel just above the beach is a nice place to stop for
Lunch as well. There is Yvonne's tea room on the side of the Greenway which gets well recommended, and Nevin's pub is excellent with very good food, surprisingly good.

Above all the area is beautiful if you get the right weather. When in Mulranny there is a road that goes out to the sea channel and you often see pods of dolphins along there sheltering in from the Atlantic.

That sounds fantastic but as you say, a lot depends on the weather in Ireland. Sunny and it's the nicest place in the world, rain and well, it's just another day. I'll definitely take a jaunt to these places you suggest.

Sixmile

Veteran
i think there has been approval for the Athlone bridge but as far as I know the work hasn't started. It's 2018 and you can't cycle past Athlone half way across.

Top Bottom