Dulux Brilliant White Silk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I bought some a couple of weeks ago (£12.99) to do the hall cornice, I didn't like the way it went on, watery, but seeing as I had 3/4 of the tub left, I bought another to do a bedroom.

2 days off work and f.o.u.r coats later, over a light grey original colour......... looking at it......... by Sunday and 10 coats it might look half decent. What a load of catmuck, I'd have been better off throwing milk about. :cursing:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Did you stir it up first?:smile:

RCITGuy

If memory serves me correctly, according to my many conversations with the helpful chaps at the Dulux store, this stuff sounds like the color mixing stuff that's designed to be used on the mixing machines as the colors they inject turn it into much thicker gloop, and its deliberately super thin so that those shaker machines can mix it up real goooood..

Just a shame some D.I.Y store don't know that and sell it as normal paint..

Going the opposite way, trade paint is super thick and gloopy as its designed to be mixed or watered down depending on the application at time of use, as it can be used for mist coating as well as blending to create shades by a professional painter and decorator. (One that is actually qualified, rather than one that owns a "trade" card for B&Q and 500 budget business cards from Vistaprint)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've never had any joy from silk. I just stick to trade matt magnolia. You can get the same look from some poncy Farrow and Ball confection called Plantation Linen Sheets or something and pay ten times as much if you want to. Interior designers who get a percentage of the contract price always say "yes it's expensive....but the coverage is excellent".
B#llocks.

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I started work with a paint company last year. First thing I learned is never, ever use retail emulsions. Trade paint is far superior and will go on in two coats.

White paint is made "brilliant" white by the addition of titanium dioxide which is expensive. There's a retail price war going on at the moment and certain suppliers are cutting costs by reducing the amount of costly ingredients in the paint sold on the High Street.

The bases RCITGuy is talking about don't have titanium dioxide in because they're intended to be tinted into colours.

Farrow and Ball are a triumph of marketing over substance. The paint is pretty dire but with a high amount of colourant to give it intensity. Take your F&B colour card to my company's Decorating Centre and they have the chemical formulations to produce exactly the same shades with paint that is far better in the first place*. You end up paying about half the price for paint that goes twice as far.

*We paid F&B a lot of money to be able to do this.

I started work with a paint company last year. First thing I learned is never, ever use retail emulsions. Trade paint is far superior and will go on in two coats.

White paint is made "brilliant" white by the addition of titanium dioxide which is expensive. There's a retail price war going on at the moment and certain suppliers are cutting costs by reducing the amount of costly ingredients in the paint sold on the High Street.

The bases RCITGuy is talking about don't have titanium dioxide in because they're intended to be tinted into colours.

Farrow and Ball are a triumph of marketing over substance. The paint is pretty dire but with a high amount of colourant to give it intensity. Take your F&B colour card to my company's Decorating Centre and they have the chemical formulations to produce exactly the same shades with paint that is far better in the first place*. You end up paying about half the price for paint that goes twice as far.

*We paid F&B a lot of money to be able to do this.
You obviously cannot state the company you work for, but does it end in an "x"?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
^_^ No - a "G"

Dulux Dog?

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Did you stir it up first?:smile:

Of course.

I originally bought silk by mistake, I wanted matt..........going to get some matt today and give it all a 5th & 6th coat, I am on edge and don't like painting at the best of times, I should have had the ceiling and skirting boards done as well in 2 days, feel liking kicking the cats. :cursing:

I am sure, just like with many other things, it's branded but actually just any old crap. I agree with this guy:- "It is easily the worst paint I have ever used. Its like trying to paint with milk."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dulux-Pure-Brilliant-White-Matt/product-reviews/B007IGB6WK

I agree on the trade paint option. Go to Brewers if you can rather than B & Q.

Just done my kitchen that was a coral red colour with a lightish blue/green and it almost covered in one coat. That was with Dulux trade emulsion. They had an offer on in Brewers for the colour mixing and you can get 5 litres for about £30.

When the offer is not on then Crown Trade is much cheaper than Dulux I think and that seems good stuff too.

The trade stuff is much nicer to use too.

damj

Got dulux water based satin paint for doors staircase and frames, couple of coats did the job. Except now everywhere that gets touched regularly has become sticky and feels like it's going to peel

Top Bottom