Dulux Brilliant White Silk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Problem I have is with gloss paint... We did all the woodwork in the house 12 months ago in brilliant white... It's already starting to look yellow. And the modern stuff is much softer and prone to scratches/dings than the older stuff. That stayed white for years and was as hard as nails .

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
My father in law used to work for a paint company. It was ace. Didn't have to buy a tin of paint for years. Now he's retired I have to buy my own, damn him...

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpg
image.jpg
We used Dulux jasmine white silk to paint the flat we rent out.
Used silk as marks wipe off easier than Matt.
Took four coats but came up fine, original colours were brown, purple and blue :eek: (man cave).

Tim Hall

I am not a decorater by trade, but I do most rooms in the house once a year 2 years at most, I have used trade for as long as I can remember. Crown for gloss and Dulux or Gliddens for emulsion. I have had a few idea's of trying Armstead Trade, your thoughts please swl.
I'd suggest buying paint that lasts longer. Most rooms once a year? How ever do you find time for cycling?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I am not a decorater by trade, but I do most rooms in the house once a year 2 years at most, I have used trade for as long as I can remember. Crown for gloss and Dulux or Gliddens for emulsion. I have had a few idea's of trying Armstead Trade, your thoughts please swl.

Sorry, missed this.

Armstead is the "budget" Dulux trade option and is popular with jobbing decorators, builders and the like. Nothing wrong with it. It's actually still Gliddens but my company bought the brand name "Gliddens" so Dulux had to rename theirs to Armstead.

One thing to watch out for is don't buy contract matt thinking it sounds like trade so it'll be good.Contract matt is intended for fresh plaster or plasterboard which still has some moisture content. This paint is permeable and lets the wall dry out. Because it is primarily used by builders just wanting the room to look clean, it has a high opacity so it doesn't take too many coats and it dries quickly. However it has a high chalk content which can rub off on clothes. If you've ever moved into a new-build house and been told not to re-decorate for six months, it's because the plaster is still drying through the contract emulsion. So - it's very white and it dries quick with good coverage but it's only meant to last six months and you can't clean it or rub against it.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Contract matt - it's very white and it dries quick with good coverage but it's only meant to last six months and you can't clean it or rub against it.
You don't say :ohmy:
I've just bought 4x15 lt of the stuff, on advice of the staff in Wickes, we are going to paint the communal close area.
Have I been duped? Will it only last 6 months? :eek:

U

User6179

You don't say :ohmy:
I've just bought 4x15 lt of the stuff, on advice of the staff in Wickes, we are going to paint the communal close area.
Have I been duped? Will it only last 6 months? :eek:

I got my house plastered 3 years ago and used the Wickes contract matt for whole house , it is still fine , the only problem is if you try to wash the wall the paint would come off so I just go over any marks with some fresh paint .

I think you would be better going back to Wickes and swapping for some acrylic eggshell which would be better for a communal close than emulsion .

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think you would be better going back to Wickes and swapping for some acrylic eggshell which would be better for a communal close than emulsion .
Cheers for that @Eddy.
Those Wickes people are really useless: I only went there because I had a £100 gift voucher they gave me for making a disaster of my bathroom delivery last year.
Can't go back and change it because it's getting delivered on Monday and I don't have a day off before then.
I'll just use the paint, retouch as needed, got plenty normal emulsion left over from other projects anyway.

Top Bottom