Dumb Americans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
:blush:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Dave Davenport said:
The worrying thing is, you could probably find as many people as stupid as that lot on a British high street these days.

+1 I work in a pretty decent and responsible job but some of the folks I work with, not just the kids coming through the door, are uneducated and disinterested in even the basic bits of history and politics.

I mentioned Karl Marx in conversation about Manchester once (Engels connection) the conversation went downhill from there

Carl Marx - wasn't he that american runner from the 80's

no that Carl Lewis.

oh, hes the singer guy then,

no thats Richard Marx.

I don't know then is he even famous at all.

He's the author of the Communist manifesto and one of the founding fathers of Soviet Communism.

Oh that all happened in the wartime and the Americans are bothering with it, I didn't do all of that foreign history sh8t, we did the Romans and the French Revolution.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
These are doubtless the now-grown subjects Bill Bryson writes of in The Lost Continent:

"At the time of my trip there was an outcry in America over the contagion of ignorance that appeared to be sweeping through the nation's young people. The principal focus of this nationwide wrist-wringing was a study by the National Endowment for the Humanities. It had recently tested 8,000 high-school seniors and found that they were as stupid as pig dribble. More than two-thirds of them did not know when the US Civil War took place, couldn't identify Stalin or Churchill, and didn't know who wrote The Canterbury Tales. Almost half thought World War I started before 1900. A third thought that Roosevelt was president during the Vietnam War and that Columbus sailed to America after 1750. Forty-two percent—this is my favorite—couldn't name a single country in Asia."

bauldbairn

Dave Davenport said:
The worrying thing is, you could probably find as many people as stupid as that lot on a British high street these days.

+2, so consumed with their own self importance nothing else matters - sad! :laugh:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
'where is the Berlin Wall?' Excellent.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
And let's not forget our own home-grown talent...

JAMIE THEAKSTON: Where is Cambridge University?

CONTESTANT: Geography isn't my strong point

JAMIE THEAKSTON: There's a clue in the title

CONTESTANT: Leicester?

Manonabike

Über Member
shouldbeinbed said:
+1 I work in a pretty decent and responsible job but some of the folks I work with, not just the kids coming through the door, are uneducated and disinterested in even the basic bits of history and politics.

I mentioned Karl Marx in conversation about Manchester once (Engels connection) the conversation went downhill from there

Carl Marx - wasn't he that american runner from the 80's

no that Carl Lewis.

oh, hes the singer guy then,

no thats Richard Marx.

I don't know then is he even famous at all.

He's the author of the Communist manifesto and one of the founding fathers of Soviet Communism.

Oh that all happened in the wartime and the Americans are bothering with it, I didn't do all of that foreign history sh8t, we did the Romans and the French Revolution.

I know there is a difference between communists parties around the world.... some are communists (Marxists) and others communists (Leninist)

Karl Marx is buried in London..... I don't know why though :smile:

I know that is bad here but I would like to think that is nowhere as bad as it is in the usa.....

About 10 years ago I took a train to Newcastle and there was this American couple on their way to Scotland :smile: and the lady, as the train was leaving the station, asked "excuse me sir but would you know if the hotels in Scotland have colour tv?" "Mmmm, I don't think so..... there is only black and white tv in the UK :laugh:" Some people listening to my reply could not stop laughing at her face cause she totally believed me :laugh:. About 20 minutes later she said to my ear "I don't think we have black and white tv in america anymore!!!" :biggrin:

darkstar

"I don't even have an intelligent guess"
"What about a stupid guess?"
Haha. Seriously though, it's the ones who try to appear intelligent by stating the answers boldly, even though they don't know the answers, they are are the idiots. The ones who admit they don't know are not so bad, they've just been let down by the education system.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Keith Oates said:
I suppose the ones that did answer the questions correctly were not included in the clip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You take all of the magic out of things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though I did like the one about which state KFC originated in, I was fooled for a second I thought the guy wouldn't know what KFC stood for:biggrin:

Top Bottom