'Smart' meters V 'Dumb' meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've had an " Owl " energy meter for many years. A doddle to fit the current monitor in the meter cabinet and that sends the meter readings and to a freestanding display in the lounge. I've got it set to display cumulative KWH on a weekly basis which resets at midnight each Sunday. If I bother to input the tariff it can show costs and lots of other variables.

Alex321

Veteran
Of course :okay: But can't say its high on my list of propiorities (and by extension, many other peeoples priorities)
We've reduced our energy consumption really quite significantly just reading meters daily and modifying behaviour, settings etc..
Hard its not, meh, maybe easier by smart meter, but for me, just a little effort and calculating is all that's needed.
As a genuine aside, what, if any, are the negatives of smart meters ?
I suspect people like me who reject this kind of stuff are a mix of somewhat stubborn, stick in the mud, equally quite happy sorting stuff out the traditional way

There really aren't any negatives.

You get occasional malfunctions, when you may have to read and submit the readings as you would with traditional meters, but those are quite rare.

You are much less likely to get bill based on estimates that are way off, though there are still occasional reports of people getting bills that are way out.

Reactions: gbb
you certain about that? What about the poster who's SM stopped sending readings, and was oblivious until the provider contacted them?

I don't know the story there.

At least you can see your usage whenever you want so you shouldn't get far out of track on the usage.

Before I got the smart meter I would have no idea what my energy usage was.

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't know the story there.

At least you can see your usage whenever you want so you shouldn't get far out of track on the usage.

Before I got the smart meter I would have no idea what my energy usage was.

But you could have, all you had to do was look and calculate :okay:
Tbf, I'm not against SMs, just couldn't be arrised to get one installed when our current methods are suffice for us.
One day it may be forced (to have a SM ), when that day comes, no problem, we will embrace it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've had smart meters since August '21 and they have never successfully sent a reading to our supplier. People's Energy installed the meters shortly before going bust.

About six months ago BG came to fix the problem. Two responses from the engineer:

Talking about the gas meter "I've never seen one like that before."

Talking about both "I can't replace them because they are working in that usage is accurately recorded but not transmitted. There's a shortage of meters due to the microchip shortage. We can only do new installs and not replacements for working meters."

He did agree the meters were only working to a limited extent. Nevermind, it kept two engineers employed for a morning.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've had smart meters since August '21 and they have never successfully sent a reading to our supplier. People's Energy installed the meters shortly before going bust.

About six months ago BG came to fix the problem. Two responses from the engineer:

Talking about the gas meter "I've never seen one like that before."

Talking about both "I can't replace them because they are working in that usage is accurately recorded but not transmitted. There's a shortage of meters due to the microchip shortage. We can only do new installs and not replacements for working meters."

He did agree the meters were only working to a limited extent. Nevermind, it kept two engineers employed for a morning.

What if it 'stopped working' by nefarious means.. 🤫

PaulSB

Legendary Member
What if it 'stopped working' by nefarious means.. 🤫

I think if I tried that I'd either blow up the terrace or fry myself. I can't smell gas* and have an irrational fear of electricity**

* BG engineer arrived one year. Walked in, immediately shut off the gas supply and called in the emergency crew who within two hours had dug up my backyard, found and isolated an old lead gas pipe that had never been capped off!!

** I turn the electric off the ring main to change a light bulb.

Mike_P

Guru
I think if I tried that I'd either blow up the terrace or fry myself. I can't smell gas* and have an irrational fear of electricity**

** I turn the electric off the ring main to change a light bulb.
Turning off the lights circuit should be sufficient if you feel the need. You can only get an electric shock if part of you is earthed hence why electricians always wear rubber soled shoes.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Turning off the lights circuit should be sufficient if you feel the need. You can only get an electric shock if part of you is earthed hence why electricians always wear rubber soled shoes.

Yes, that's what I mean. Poor choice of words on my part.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
After much badgering from BGas (who supply our gas and electricity), we agreed to have smart meters installed. All went well for about 18 months. Then, I received a request from BGas to submit a meter reading for gas. Why?, I queried, we have a smart meter. It emerged that the smart meter had not been sending the readings for several months. There was no notification prior to the meter reading request. Still waiting for it to be rectified. Pathetic springs to mind.
You still have the 3 visits from the BG engineer to try but fail to sort the meter out to look forward to! :okay:

I got the same engineer at 6 month intervals. He went through the same ritual each time before admitting defeat and blaming it on lack of spare parts...

I gave up and am back to reading the meters myself again. (They did work when I moved in but the comms box developed a fault during the pandemic.)

Which reminds me - I need to send the readings in today so they can calculate my scary winter fuel bill!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... an irrational fear of electricity
I would call that a 'healthy respect for the dangers of electricity'...

I got a mains shock as a teenager from faulty Christmas tree lights. Having your muscles suddenly convulse and project you across a room is not fun! Lying against a wall afterwards, with arms shaking uncontrollably wasn't a great outcome either... :whistle:

Top Bottom