'Smart' meters V 'Dumb' meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Nope had our own energy source already. Not needed for exporting, only for charging you if you use your own energy so afraid your a bit out on that point.

I'm not wrong, because I was talking about if you are going to have your own energy source installed.

It is needed for export if you are going to be paid for the actual amount exported - which is the case for anybody who signed up after new installation FIT ended (31 March 2019).

If you signed up while FIT was still available, then yes, you can get paid for a deemed amount of export, regardless of what you actually generate, and no export meter is needed for that. But for that your system must have been installed and you applied prior to March 31 2019.

gbb

Legendary Member
What's the benefit to households of smart meters (other than not having to take readings)? I've avoided changing to smart, as I just can't see what the benefit to me is, but can see the huge benefit to providers.

My general thoughts too. I can manually read my meter... if I want to. Calculate near enough what my usage is. None of it is rocket science, just takes a little effort.
We generally have no problem giving our provider our meter readings.

geocycle

Legendary Member
We regularly have to manually read our smart meter as the mobile reception is rubbish! Worst of both worlds.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have a Smart electric meter and a Dumb gas meter so as I have to send one, I might as well send two (three, with day & night tariffs)
This means that I get to spin the wheel and win nothing on the Octopus site.

My general thoughts too. I can manually read my meter... if I want to. Calculate near enough what my usage is. None of it is rocket science, just takes a little effort.
We generally have no problem giving our provider our meter readings.

But you can't flick a switch on or off and see instantly how much electric that's using? It's great for tracking down anything wasting more electric than necessary.

Reactions: gbb

Gillstay

Über Member
My smart meter doesn’t charge me for using what I produce. On the contrary, it tells me how much I’m exporting net

Oh, I wonder if that is down to who fitted it. British gas fitted ours.

Gillstay

Über Member
I'm not wrong, because I was talking about if you are going to have your own energy source installed.

It is needed for export if you are going to be paid for the actual amount exported - which is the case for anybody who signed up after new installation FIT ended (31 March 2019).

If you signed up while FIT was still available, then yes, you can get paid for a deemed amount of export, regardless of what you actually generate, and no export meter is needed for that. But for that your system must have been installed and you applied prior to March 31 2019.

Okay, so a modern system would not have a export meter in the system ?

gbb

Legendary Member
But you can't flick a switch on or off and see instantly how much electric that's using? It's great for tracking down anything wasting more electric than necessary.

Of course :okay: But can't say its high on my list of propiorities (and by extension, many other peeoples priorities)
We've reduced our energy consumption really quite significantly just reading meters daily and modifying behaviour, settings etc..
Hard its not, meh, maybe easier by smart meter, but for me, just a little effort and calculating is all that's needed.
As a genuine aside, what, if any, are the negatives of smart meters ?
I suspect people like me who reject this kind of stuff are a mix of somewhat stubborn, stick in the mud, equally quite happy sorting stuff out the traditional way

I'm sure that people have been getting wrong bills for a lot longer than the invention of the smart meter.
And if you had a smart meter - you'd be able to see if something is wrong a lot quicker than you would with the old meter.
I'm forever looking at our meter - its in the kitchen. And I'm always outraged when demand surges and I want to know who is responsible - and then it's always me that's just put the kettle on...

Top Bottom