Dumb cycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
How's this then?

DSC_0479.JPG

Yep, a hard to see cycle path in the middle of a foot path.

We've had it a while...

Seen worse.
Does it pass the Piemaster useful cyclepath test?
It speeds me along, making that part of my journey quicker and more convenient. - PASS
It gets me out of the way of motor vehicles that I am perceived to hold up, on the most direct route to my destination - FAIL

Apply the test and there are a lot that aren't there for cyclists benefit.

Not very good. You'll just get pedestrians wandering all over it. Although how useful it is I guess it depends how long the path carries on for, and what's the road like alongside. The road going the other way looks one way, and due to its width, any cyclist on the road would end up in the door zone of those parked cars, unless they take primary.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Oddly similar to the ones they have in Germany. Red routes or something they're called. The difference between us and the Germans? Germans advertise it clearly as a cycle lane to all and pedestrians dont walk in them as much

runner

Guru
typical of councils...running headlong into the cycle era with little thought or design or practical use. Living in Bristol I am astounded that so little has been done in the city centre to improve the lot for the cyclist.....those who come from Bristol may well know the so called cycle underpass at Gardner/Haskins store..in the 10 years I have been commuting this has never had any reparis or upgrades and yet it is a major route into the city centre leading directly from the cycle track....come on Bristol get it sorted!!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Would that be the same Bristol that was named a 'cycling city' :laugh:

Bristol is very good to cycle around, primarily because the majority of drivers aren't twats, at least where bikes are concerned at any rate. People mostly drive with patience and courtesy - live and let live and all that. This definitely contrasts with other places I've lived.

Bristol is very good to cycle around, primarily because the majority of drivers aren't twats, at least where bikes are concerned at any rate. People mostly drive with patience and courtesy - live and let live and all that. This definitely contrasts with other places I've lived.
Was more a reply to your complaint of the infrastructure and that I'd remembered Bristol getting extra funding as a cycling city, surely what the funds were to be spent on.I hadn't realised how long ago that actually was. If local drivers are pleasant to get on with maybe it actually did do something, a good thing either way. :thumbsup:

runner

Guru
I am not disputing the courtesy or otherwise of the Bristol drivers (I think they are no worse or no better than anywhere else) but I believe certain parts of the city centre need attention....indeed I have written to the highways some months ago re the above underpass I mentioned and have not had a reply. This conversation has prompted me to send a further email/reminder to them...

Sir

I have been cycling into Bristol City Centre for the last 9 years using the underpass tunnel at Gardeners...I was wondering if money will soon be spent upgrading and improving this extremelly busy junction...even a little paint and some new road markings would help?

Yours faithfully

Trev Twinem

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Don't know the underpass you mention, so not commenting on that.

I guess my point was cycling in Bristol is pretty good, in spite of lack of infrastructure - maybe even because of lack of infrastructure, with what little I've seen making things worse as a rule; Bristol Bath path / Strawberry line excepted- those are rather good. Even the A38 towards Aztec is fine to cycle along with the daily pelaton to work managing just fine on a dual carriageway with very few "out of my way" beeps for those of us sticking to the road / flyover etc.

There is a comically stupid bit of cycle lane on said A38 towards town where you are expected to go from a speedy (40mph limit, presumably 20+ cycling) through a 1m wide chicane, stop dead, then cross the slip road. I'd be astonished if a single cyclist has ever done this. Might take a photo for the Warrrington lot at some point.

Top Bottom