Dumb cycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How about this one that I spotted in Todmorden yesterday ... :whistle:

No cycling on cycle path.jpg

To ride, or not to ride, that is the question! :laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Don't know the underpass you mention, so not commenting on that.

I guess my point was cycling in Bristol is pretty good, in spite of lack of infrastructure - maybe even because of lack of infrastructure, with what little I've seen making things worse as a rule; Bristol Bath path / Strawberry line excepted- those are rather good. Even the A38 towards Aztec is fine to cycle along with the daily pelaton to work managing just fine on a dual carriageway with very few "out of my way" beeps for those of us sticking to the road / flyover etc.

There is a comically stupid bit of cycle lane on said A38 towards town where you are expected to go from a speedy (40mph limit, presumably 20+ cycling) through a 1m wide chicane, stop dead, then cross the slip road. I'd be astonished if a single cyclist has ever done this. Might take a photo for the Warrrington lot at some point.
I've been at a S. Glos cycle forum meeting where it was explained that it was to reduce accidents at that spot. I think the angles could be better but it does allow an alternative option (I haven't actually used it myself). The speed of cars off the slip road isn't helped by the dip under the bridge. I have to admit to avoiding the slip road when going north by coming off, going around the roundabout, and rejoining (means I'm not going really slow as I meet the north bound slip road.)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've been at a S. Glos cycle forum meeting where it was explained that it was to reduce accidents at that spot. I think the angles could be better but it does allow an alternative option (I haven't actually used it myself). The speed of cars off the slip road isn't helped by the dip under the bridge. I have to admit to avoiding the slip road when going north by coming off, going around the roundabout, and rejoining (means I'm not going really slow as I meet the north bound slip road.)

the avoiding the slip road bit isnt wholly stupid, but the 1m chicane is the stupid bit; you'd have to come to a complete stop on the 40mph dual carriageway to turn into it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
On that bit, I just barrel along the dual carriageway and rejoin the cycle path bit when I feel it is safe to do so, not when some council paint planner deems it safe.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
On that bit, I just barrel along the dual carriageway and rejoin the cycle path bit when I feel it is safe to do so, not when some council paint planner deems it safe.

quite - it isn't even just paint - there;s a curb as well so it's right narrow and nearly a right angle bend off the A38 - nuts !

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Oddly similar to the ones they have in Germany. Red routes or something they're called. The difference between us and the Germans? Germans advertise it clearly as a cycle lane to all and pedestrians dont walk in them as much

Yep, I could walk out of the door and take a dozen photographs like that, not all red, but at least a different texture and colour to make sure their obvious.. The thing is they work here, because as you rightly mention, pedestrians stay out of the lane and bikes stay of the footpath, why? because were in Germany and thats the rules! If a stray pedestrian does wander in, then a quick angry ring on your bell gets them scurrying back to their side. It works really well and everyone knows there place.

Another key difference is the side road pictured, here in Germany bikes have priority across it and heaven help any motorist who doesn't give way. So folk generally cycle straight across with no hesitation. Try that in Britain!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Another key difference is the side road pictured, here in Germany bikes have priority across it and heaven help any motorist who doesn't give way. So folk generally cycle straight across with no hesitation. Try that in Britain!
I do in one location and I don't know why they don't do the same in other locations. I'm always surprised how well it is respected.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Sorry, saw the thread title and assumed this would be another mention of the £29 million still unfinished waste of money that's currently being crowbarred in place to allow me to cycle from home to the centre of Bradford, in the extremely unlikely event that I'd ever wish to do so...:rolleyes:

But yes, the photo does show another very dumb cycle path. It's almost like they've entrusted the provision of cycling infrastructure to someone who doesn't own a bike.

Top Bottom