Dumb question - cornering technique ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Never quite sure how I do it, I was too young when I learnt, but I just go round them. HOWEVER always watch out for loose material such as gravel, chippings or mud, and anything slippery such as sh1t, mud or oil. All of these things can have you off. Longitudinal cracks in the road are another one to watch for as they take the wheels out as effectively as tramlines if you're cornering.

I've taken a good few bends far too fast over the years and I've never had a tyre on tarmac friction failure, only problems when I haven't seen the unwanted extras in the road.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Yes i have and this weekend i nearly got killed by a cycle club doing just that and i have lost count of the amount of cyclists i have to scrape up off the road and then tell their families which hospital they are in or even worse.

Its not smart, its not legal and you aren't on the TDF with the road cleared ahead of you.

Ride safe

Davidc

Guru
Yes i have and this weekend i nearly got killed by a cycle club doing just that and i have lost count of the amount of cyclists i have to scrape up off the road and then tell their families which hospital they are in or even worse.

Its not smart, its not legal and you aren't on the TDF with the road cleared ahead of you.

Ride safe

Yes it is.

Although HC rule 66 states that you should ride in single file round bends there's no legal requirement to do so.

(Not in Germany though)

Hill Wimp

Quote the law that says its legal and you will overturn many court cases other wise S.28 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 riding a cycle dangerously on a road.

If you get knocked off doing or cause another vehicle to have an accident as a result of doing it you may find yourself defending yourself in court and being sued.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I absolutely love descending. I am probably one of the fastest descenders in my club. I am always catching up to them and passing and taking corners faster than them.
However, I am not the best on the hills so they normally catch me up there.

Hill Wimp

Yes it is.

(Not in Germany though)

This is a direct lift from the CTC website

Riding recklessly, dangerously, carelessly or inconsiderately
• The offence
It is an offence to ride recklessly on a road, or in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner
(i.e. cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other
persons using the road). The applicable legislation is the Road Traffic Act (RTA) 1988 sections 28,
29 & 30, as amended by RTA 1991. ‘Road’ includes bridleways.
An amendment under the Road Traffic Act 1991 explains that a person is to be regarded as riding
a cycle ‘dangerously’ if (and only if): “(a) the way he rides falls far below what would be expected of
a competent and careful cyclist, and (b) it would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist that
riding in that way would be dangerous. ‘Dangerous’ refers to danger either of injury to any person
or of serious damage to property.”
The maximum penalties for careless and dangerous cycling are £1,000 and £2,500 respectively.

Davidc

Guru
Quote the law that says its legal and you will overturn many court cases other wise S.28 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 riding a cycle dangerously on a road.

If you get knocked off doing or cause another vehicle to have an accident as a result of doing it you may find yourself defending yourself in court and being sued.

It's you that needs to quote the law which says it's illegal and THAT THE HIGHWAY CODE IS WRONG.

The highway code is right and you are wrong. Riding two abreast around a bend is legal, even if you should not do it. IF it were illegal the wording would be MUST not SHOULD. That it is potentially dangerous is irrelevant to legality.

While I do not intend checking I would feel secure putting a reasonable sum on there never having been any court case under section 28 of the RTA relating to riding 2 abreast round a bend. Your assertion is almost certainly unfounded. I will apologise if and when you can quote the case details to support that assertion.

edit:

I have read the passage you quote in the past. This by no means makes riding 2 abreast round a bend illegal, only if the action is actually dangerous at a level which can be proven is the 1991 amendment relevant.

I'm not suggesting that riding 2 abreast round bends is good practice or sensible, simply pointing out that your assertion of illegality is wrong.

If you'd stuck to riding with no brakes, no lights between sunset and sunrise, with 2 people on a bike made for one, RLJing, and failing to stop at a zebra crossing you'd have been safe. All have the word MUST in the HC and there are precious few prosecutions even for them.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
This is a direct lift from the CTC website

Riding recklessly, dangerously, carelessly or inconsiderately
• The offence
It is an offence to ride recklessly on a road, or in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner
(i.e. cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other
persons using the road). The applicable legislation is the Road Traffic Act (RTA) 1988 sections 28,
29 & 30, as amended by RTA 1991. ‘Road’ includes bridleways.
An amendment under the Road Traffic Act 1991 explains that a person is to be regarded as riding
a cycle ‘dangerously’ if (and only if): “(a) the way he rides falls far below what would be expected of
a competent and careful cyclist, and (b) it would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist that
riding in that way would be dangerous. ‘Dangerous’ refers to danger either of injury to any person
The maximum penalties for careless and dangerous cycling are £1,000 and £2,500 respectively.
I wish I hadn't asked ...... Where does this mention riding two abreast? I believe there are circumstances where it would be/is perfectly safe and legal to ride 2 abreast in a group around a bend in the road - where the road is wide, the bend easy, visibilty good. There are obviously places where to do so would be dangerous - anywhere visibility was limited, the bend sharp, the road narrow, surface bad, or traffic heavy. Singling up is necessary at such places.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Mod hat ON.

@Davidc and @Hill Wimp:

Please do not derail this interesting and informative thread about Cornering Technique.

If you wish to discuss the details of the HC, please go and start another thread in CAD.

Thank you.

Hill Wimp

It's you that needs to quote the law which says it's illegal and THAT THE HIGHWAY CODE IS WRONG.

The highway code is right and you are wrong. Riding two abreast around is legal, even if you should not do it. If it were illegal the wording would be MUST not SHOULD. That it is potentially dangerous is irrelevant to legality.

While I do not intend checking I would feel secure putting a reasonable sum on there never having been any court case under section 28 of the RTA relating to riding 2 abreast round a bend. Your assertion is almost certainly unfounded. I will apologise if and when you can quote the case details to support that assertion.

Firstly the Highway Code per se is not legally enforceable. Thats a common myth, its advisory only.

Secondly ive been in in the law business a long time now so im pretty certain i know what im talking about. The law in question is about dangerous and reckless cycling which as i have already quoted is from the Road Traffic Act, and which is legally enforceable and says

and two people riding around a bend depending on the bend and the road layout/camber etc can and does certainly fall under that definition.

I am only offering you some friendly and professional advice to keep you safe and to prevent one of my colleagues having to make that visit to your family.

Thats all from me

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Any tips for maintaining position and distance apart when riding 2 abreast in a group round bends?
Easier said than done but you hold your line and forget about the person on your inside/ outside (at least thats what one I poke to coach said). I know in the dry I can hold a quite tight line on a left corner when I'm on the inside, through reverse steering (or at least I think that's what I'm doing, banking the bike to the left and maintaining an upright body position) but on the outside I'm always wary that not everyone can.

Top Bottom