Dumb question - cornering technique ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is remarkably similar to motorcycles in terms of rolling around the rim of the tyre and describing a smooth curve with the maximum radius you can safely manage.

It differs from motorcycling in that you don't have a throttle to sit the thing up out of the corner. It also differs in that it weighs a lot less than you do.

I really think it is largely 'suck it and see'. You will have a roide with fast bends on it and you can try them several times over the weeks and months.

I prefer to corner with my bum in the seat, although it may not look cool. Very rarely do I slide my outside thigh across the saddle and slightly hang a leg. When I do, I probably look ridiculous and slow, but I feel like Randy Mamola in his pomp.

If you have to google Randy Mamola, then you are a troglodite and a cretin. Officially.

sidevalve

Über Member
Much the same as in your M/cycling days. The laws of physics don't change much nor does roadcraft. Just the same though - make damn sure you do know what is really around that bend, not what you think should be around it.
Remember you aint in the TDF and in the real world bits of crud get on the road [horse poop is a favourite one round here]. Sorry to sound dull but hitting a long pile of muck at full bore on a bend can REALLY ruin a ride, [if you're lucky you might get away with adding to it, if not you may end up in it].

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Much the same as in your M/cycling days. The laws of physics don't change much nor does roadcraft. Just the same though - make damn sure you do know what is really around that bend, not what you think should be around it.
Remember you aint in the TDF and in the real world bits of crud get on the road [horse poop is a favourite one round here]. Sorry to sound dull but hitting a long pile of muck at full bore on a bend can REALLY ruin a ride, [if you're lucky you might get away with adding to it, if not you may end up in it].

Recently deposited horse poo being sprayed on you by the bike in front whilst you practice slipstreaming is not one for the faint hearted, and if you happen to have your mouth open at the time .... Well lets just say horse eat tastes better.

Sorry an experience shared and all that .

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Many thanks for the responses, guys.

It looks like I need to find

a) a nice large, empty car park in which to practise those suggested techniques
b) any assorted BMX padding that my kids might have left behind when they flew the nest :-)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would advise going out and riding your bike quite a bit on tight circuits with lots of left turns (so you are hitting the apex on the left rather than on the right where there is potentially oncoming traffic) and just practice, you can do all the posturing on the internet you like but there is nothing like riding your bike when it comes to handling skills. The odd bit of advice here and there helps, but mostly, it is 'advice' coming from people who have read something on the internet or in a magazine, telling other people in their own words, what they have read but can not and do not practice. My bike handling and descending skills are poor, but I could sit here and type the same stuff everyone else has. Cornering skill is also largely dependant on confidence in yourself and your equipment (which is probably where I am lacking, that and lack of practice as I train indoors on a turbo trainer all week and only go outdoors to race on a weekend) and internet advice won't remedy lack of confidence!

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
As a kid, I used to cycle around the Craigantlet hills, and there was one very very steep hill, about 15-20% in parts IIRC, leading to a series of quite sweeping bends into Holywood. Once, I went into one of those corners at around 60mph. I had never leant over so far on a bike, and never want to again. I couldn't point my knee out because it would have been torn to pieces. I had to get off and take a breather when I finally got to the bottom of the hill. But it did prove that, at least in the dry, I would have a hard time finding the limits of the tyres.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Any tips for maintaining position and distance apart when riding 2 abreast in a group round bends?

Top Bottom