Dumb question - cornering technique ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
How do I learn the technique of going round corners (not blind ones, obviously) at a respectable speed, rather than bottling out and overbraking at the last moment and then feeling like a wimp?

Does it inevitably involve trial and error before I get it right - either overcooking it so that I run out of road, or heeling over too much so that my tyres run out of grip (though I'm told that's less likely than you might think)?

In my long-ago motorcycling days I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but somehow on the bike it all seems much more difficult.

Any suggestions?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look at the exit.

fossyant

OK now comes some experience and tyres and know how. Any non cyclists are a bit shocked if you mention cycle tyres make a huge difference round corners, its like F1. I do not joke, neither do motorbikes.

cyclewick

Regular
Point your knee where you want to go, lean more for sharper turns, be relaxed dont death grip your handlebars. Start at the outside of the turn and aim for the inside, dont brake during the turn because you will skid, so use enough braking before, then once you have completed the corner

fossyant

On cornering hard, stand full body weight on the outside pedal, lowers centre of gravity.

Google Fabien Canchelara Descent videos.... OMG he can go down hill ...

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Practice and confidence is the main things IMO but when I was looking up the same question on youtube I came across this:

vickster

Legendary Member
Get your knee down :becool:
and check there's nothing on the other side of the road and no one on the pavement :wacko:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Close your eyes and hope for the best. lol

Lots of practice, you will get there in the end, if not a couple of beers for a bit of dutch courage, only joking.

Most important lesson i learnt was keep away from the loose chippings/build up or gravel on the bends. Tyres slip on it then it becomes embedded in your limbs :-(

Top Bottom