Dunwich Dynamo 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I should be taking part in the 2016 DunRun. my friend did it last year and he was telling me how awesome it was. I can handle 40-50miles at a moderate pace so 160miles should be 'Ok'. It would be fun to see how far i can stretch myself.

This will be my first time taking part in any cycling event that wasnt the london skyride. I tried to get into social rides using the skyride website but the groups i met up with just seemed to be extremely unorganised and somewhat rude/elitist so i stopped going to those. Im part of a club on there too but they only go on rides on a saturday and i work every-motha-f**kin-saturday so I cant participate.

Just curious. Is there a official DunRun thread on this forum? Ive been trawling blogs and other forums/websites for tips that might be useful to best get me prepared as early as i can (im so hyped!!!)
Here you go

(BTW, it's only about 110 miles http://www.strava.com/segments/1659591 )

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Here you go

(BTW, it's only about 110 miles http://www.strava.com/segments/1659591 )

Much appreciated :tongue: Judging by the watts. I'll be holding my own (fingers crossed) I wouldnt say im a thoroughbred athlete but i can easily pump out 160-180w, though the real question is, if i can keep it up for 6-7hrs

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Well, you need to have a long meal break in the middle, or a pub stop. So that's 2 lots of 3 hours :smile:

(I've only done it once, in 2012, and I was very slow)

Eatin is cheatin bro! :tongue:

Nah im kidding. Gotta feed the machine somehow. Would prefer to eat on the bike if possible. Time is of the essence. The longer offthe bike the harder it is to get everything rolling again

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I averaged 15.2 over 134 miles overnight this year. Only a couple of short stops really.

Looking forward to 2016 already!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Lets say... If i can get a mate of mine to hire a van and come pick me up. Would £20 or £25 to ferry a guy and his bike back to london be too much? We need Need enough money to pay for gas and van hire. Obviously my friend who is the driver wont do that kind of distance for free so, some money has to go in his pocket too...

If he hires a van or mini-bus and we can take possibly 3 or 4 extra people plus their gear back to london then It might work out less of a headache for people getting home. He's not trying to profit from it but a service does need to be paid for

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Would prefer to eat on the bike if possible. Time is of the essence. The longer offthe bike the harder it is to get everything rolling again
Are you sure you've understood the concept of long distance cycling? This ain't le tour.

I know you've tried a couple but going out on some of the leisurely but challenging rides on Ride Social that has an hour's lunch stop in the middle would help to get the hang of ride a bit / eat a while riding.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Are you sure you've understood the concept of long distance cycling? This ain't le tour.

I know you've tried a couple but going out on some of the leisurely but challenging rides on Ride Social that has an hour's lunch stop in the middle would help to get the hang of ride a bit / eat a while riding.

I know exactly what it is. but sometimes when you get on the bike you cant get off it :tongue: though Im thinking about more in terms of lactic acid build up in the muscles. If i stop to rest then getting going again will be a lot harder and i will be attempting to push hard on the flats where i can attempt to hold a decent speed.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I know exactly what it is. but sometimes when you get on the bike you cant get off it :tongue: though Im thinking about more in terms of lactic acid build up in the muscles. If i stop to rest then getting going again will be a lot harder and i will be attempting to push hard on the flats where i can attempt to hold a decent speed.
Remember, DunRun isn't a race. Every year (according to posts on here) some people decide it is a race and just make it unpleasant for everyone else.

StuartG

slower but further
The point of DunRun is to do it with a load of other people. Chat on the ride, chat more on the breaks. If that isn't your thing then just do the ride at another time on your own or with a small competitive group. You won't have anybody in the way and it will be a darn sight easier to get back. Everybody wins.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
First up im not a cycling snob. I have a friend that im going to be doing the dunrun with but my speed will be largely dictated by who else we meet up with.

Im not a racer. Im not going to sprint the whole 120 miles but i do want to push we i can and ease off where i cant.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Time is of the essence. The longer offthe bike the harder it is to get everything rolling again
First up im not a cycling snob. I have a friend that im going to be doing the dunrun with but my speed will be largely dictated by who else we meet up with.

Im not a racer. Im not going to sprint the whole 120 miles but i do want to push we i can and ease off where i cant.
I agree with StuartG and would say you're likely to find the DunRun either frustrating or disappointing.

I stay away from the DunRun for precisely these reasons.

StuartG

slower but further
I'm an old bloke. I can do 110 miles sometimes easily, sometimes not so easily. I see younger, fitter guys fly past me only to burn out later who went off too quick because it was their natural cadence on shorter rides.

An imperial tonne, if you are not used to it, is very different from a metric tonne. You will really have no clue how fast you can do 110 miles until you have done it. That's the point to 'do it'. Forget the time, just relax and enjoy it. If you still have something in the boot 20 miles out then go for it but the real pain is to misjudge it earlier and have to do the last 20 miles in agony or not complete at all.

And the joy of so many people is that you don't have to stick with the same people all the way. Particularly at night we all have a bad patch and the plunging temperatures and normal nutritional timings go awry. To try and keep up at that time with someone who is feeling good will have a really bad payback.

Top Bottom