Dunwich Dynamo 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lots of assumptions and 'accusations' are being made about people not personally known by the persons making such comments. How is that any better than the assumptions non-cyclists make about cyclists?

Nope. It's the same ol' 'us versus them' outlier argument. And in this case, it's passing the buck.

It's up to you whether or not you are considerate of others. It is not up to them to somehow "deserve" that consideration.

Therein lies the measure of the character of a (wo)man.

Last edited:
U

User10571

I think there are lots of assumptions and 'accusations' being made about people not personally known by the persons making such comments. How is that any better than the assumptions non-cyclists make about cyclists?

Nope. It's the same ol' 'us versus them' outlier argument. And in this case, it's passing the buck.

It's up to you whether or not you are considerate of others. It is not up to them to somehow "deserve" that consideration.

Therein lies the measure of the character of a (wo)man.
Amen.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
RoubaixCube, I don't think that you've really grasped the message here.
I hope you are back for future rides. If this was your first, then congrats! Your next one, I assure you, will be more enjoyable.
Minus the speakers. Please.

Do you drive a car?
Doesn't really matter whether you do or you don't.
Summer time.
Drive round with the windows open.
Bass cranked up to the point where your ears bleed.
And everyone gets to hear it.
You know what I'm talking about.
Both classy and considerate.
Not.
There's not much difference between that and what you are proposing to do on your next DD.
While that may be accepted / tolerated in an urban environment, I don't think I am alone in thinking it is a bit (a lot) $h!t in a rural environment.
Has it crossed your mind that people choose to live in rural villages because they're not all that struck on what I've described above?

I wasn't really offering the topic for debate.
I know the Dun Run is an evolving ride. That's its nature. I've done enough of them to recognise that.
Shellfishness [sic] has never been part of the nature of the ride.
Your keen-ness to introduce it is less than laudable.

Point taken, but then again, the DD only happens once a year, not every few days, not every few weeks, not every few months. Im sure they can put with a little music at low volume - a group of cyclists chatting to each other while they cycle in a group are much louder is what im trying to say. If they still get pissed by it then maybe there are some LOCAL issues that need to be dealt with and not the DD cyclists. Coming to my first or second pub stop there was a group of youths in the dead of night just cycling around town.

But of course - we have to respect the locals.

On a side note, after my friend dropped out. I was dubious about leaving my bike unattended outside some of the pub stops. Im surprised that nobody tried to steal anything off my bike.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
TBH the idea that people may be playing music on loudspeakers - even quietly - is just another thing that puts me off the Dun Run. But the main things are: too many people, and the fact that is that Dunwich is bit too far for me to fancy riding back next day, and there's a dearth of convenient bail-out stations on the way back (unlike most FNRttC destinations)

Maybe one year ...

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
This was the first DD I have missed for years, and I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would for many of the reasons mooted above.

Seriously considering doing an unofficial DD next year one week before or after the official one

This was the first DD I have missed for years, and I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would for many of the reasons mooted above.

Seriously considering doing an unofficial DD next year one week before or after the official one
Or wait til @Flying Dodo sets a date and posts it here, if you'd like to do it with a small group of other experienced night riders (mostly of the FNRttC persuasion).

ETA: Here's my write-up on FD's last Unofficial Dun Run, which I believe was the 3rd one he'd organised.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Another year, another Dun Run.

I've done it solo, I've done it the wrong week, I've done it as part of a group, and now I've done it alongside a roadie. Every time a different experience, and that is largely the point.

I rocked up to the start with a friend (Felix) who is new to the social scene, but a dab hand at 'proper' cycling. Has legs that'll tear mine to shreds, so I inoculated against competition by matching his carbon deep rim Wilier with my SMGTe commuter. Pannier. Hub dynamo. Dual suspension. Marathon tyres. Lots of heavy tubing. All good. I warned him in advance that I'd likely be late, that I'd be running into people that I knew, and that 12mph average would likely be the best marriage of progress and fun.

Messed up on the first by leaving Bromley at 1850, so actually arrived at the park on cue. We managed to find each other shortly before the amassed off, and I derailed his hopes of getting underway by promptly bimbling into groups of friends, or being hailed aside by @Mice and @her_welshness. Got the chance to catch up with @User10571 (who wasn't on the ride) and @Wowbagger (who was, but is called out here mainly as an indicator of our pace). Missed out on @jennyh, who set off a few mins after 8pm without my noticing. Sorry.

Just after 2035hrs, we started. I think that's the earliest I think I've been in the park, let alone actually underway. Many of the Stravites were already ahead of us (presumably chasing Jenny), so it wasn't too chain gang oriented. As I'd hoped, a slightly deferred start and reasonable pace meant I kept uncovering hidden caches of friendship on the road, some of whose cyclechat handles I know (hello @bobcolover) and many I don't.

Strava says @jennyh and I overlapped at The White Heart Inn (Moreton) for 5 mins, but as those were the only 5 mins Felix' legs afforded me, we didn't actually meet. Through all Rodings great and small 10 minutes later (ah... remember this, @iLB ?) and I somehow missed the sun-down. From there on, the dominant memory is the pace. 10 mins to regroup at Bardfield after I made an illicit concession to being friendly on the road. The witching hour passed at Castle Hedingham. Sudbury was rammed with people, so we gave it five mins max and dashed on. The White Horse (just down the road) was a well kept secret at that point, and I managed to snaffle a quick cheeseburger around 1am.

Heading on from that point, the pack was noticeably thinner. We'd caught up with most of the people who were taking a more social pace. The tri-hards were going to remain in front. The road gangs would swap and swing around around us. The requisite amount of getting lost was achieved. Discrepancies between route sheet and GPS tracks from prior years proved a rich seam of dispute. Villagers cheered. Felix took umbrage at a 5 man chain from Paragon who either close cropped him, snarled past on a tricky surface, or just pedalled faster than he was, and so gave chase. Even a commuter recumbent can be fast when needed, so I played along, catching him up so he wouldn't have to concede the win after each burst of effort. By Westleton, a mysterious red glow was threatening the horizon to our left, but we still hit the beach before anything solar was over the horizon.

4:04am, says Strava. So if you (@PeteXXX) were pointing towards the East at any time between then and about half past, "Hi! I'm the one in the sea!" Bloody lovely it was too. Exited via undignified gravel dance in favour of the cafe, and set off for Ipswich at 5 with stomach full and shorts wet. Many friendly waves as we tracked back along the route, then caught up with Tomsk (from the other place) on his way into town.

The London train was waiting at Ipswich, and Felix and I were right there when the guard opened the van for bikes. 45 minutes passed over coffee waiting for the scheduled depart and back to town in good time for a ride back from Liverpool Street.

A different ride from the one I'm used to. Harder, but I'm not sure if that was the pace, the weight of the bike, or more likely the diminished natter. Either way, home by 1030 on Sunday with 175 miles on the clock. Ready to do business with family, trampolines, paddling pools, and (perhaps) a little sleep :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@arallsopp I did see someone having a cooling dip, and spoke to someone at the entrance/exit to the carpark who was aiming for Ipswich as I set off for Lowestoft. Was that us?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
@arallsopp I did see someone having a cooling dip, and spoke to someone at the entrance/exit to the carpark who was aiming for Ipswich as I set off for Lowestoft. Was that us?

It may have been. At the point when I was swimming, there was only one other in the water. As a 40 something man, I would hope the cut of her suit (if not figure) would be enough to differentiate us. :smile:

If the individual you spoke to at the exit was on an orange recumbent, that was me. If I was off the bike at the time, I'm almost completely anonymous. Most of my friends fail to recognise me if I'm not laid back :biggrin:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It may have been. At the point when I was swimming, there was only one other in the water. As a 40 something man, I would hope the cut of her suit (if not figure) would be enough to differentiate us. :smile:

If the individual you spoke to at the exit was on an orange recumbent, that was me. If I was off the bike at the time, I'm almost completely anonymous. Most of my friends fail to recognise me if I'm not laid back :biggrin:
I noticed one recumbent on the beach near the cafe, but can't honestly remember the colour. The chap pushing it did look a tad damp though! :sweat:
But the chaps by the exit were definitely on upright bikes, so they weren't you.
If I do it next year, I'll keep an eye out.. :okay:

Top Bottom