Dunwich Dynamo 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
To all the lucky b*ggers doing the Dun Run tonight, have a great ride. It looks like a good night for it, warm and dry. I can't make it this year but am counting down now to July 2017...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
DSC_0593.JPG

Ready for the starting cannon (or was that someone's rear tyre exploding! )

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I started at about 19:30, I think, but didn't see you..
Hit the beach at 04:00
Brilliant night!

thats pretty fast ;o me and my friend rolled out at 19.45 but he had to stop at tesco near by. My early game was shitty and i was like fish out of water for the first 20miles. stopped for a few to stuff my face and after that it was plain sailing. friend dropped out at 'The Axe & Compasses' so i lost a lot of time sorting out a pick up for him from the guy who was supposed to be taking box of us home when we reached the end. I wouldnt say I powered through most of it but I did a hell of a lot better than my first FNRttC ride then I kind of died at Coddenham and started to hate life and arrived at the end at 8:04 or 8:10.

sadly for me even though i tried to strike up some friendly convo with other cyclists who I tagged along with. Most just seemed to drop back amongst their friends to chat rather then talk to me lol. Then I came across a french family who were very friendly but always had me at the front of the group while they were drafting me. I stayed with them for 5-8miles before feigning a bad cramp and stopped for a minute or two to stuff my face with more carbs and shot past them to the next stopping point which was the fire station i think.

At 4am i think i was just past a small village and was on some unlit country roads, I was by myself with not a soul in sight for 20-30mins at least. I entered that part of the route drafting two stronger riders but im a shitter so didnt have the sustain to keep drafting and they never looked back..... then the battery on my magicshine died and I didnt want to stop in the middle of nowhere to change battery packs till i got to the next town incase I got dragged into a field and murdered. My lezyne 400XL i had sitting on my bar as backup provided a decent amount of light to get me through, though the beam wasnt very focused so couldnt see that far ahead.

Definitely doing it again next year!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Things i need to do for next years ride:

-Use the god damn 6 cell battery pack, Its sitting on the desk!

-Wear a proper cycling jersey - I was so sticky with a hummvee cycling jersey for most of the ride.

-Leave the helmet at home, wear a cap --- Maybe, though i would of take the cap but i had my gopro mounted on my helmet.

- Portable speaker for music -- Boosts morale. I was contemplating getting one small enough to fit on a bottle holder on my bike on amazon primeday. Im sad that i didnt.

- Head/helmet torch -- bloody handy, good to have

U

User10571

..........................<snip>

- Portable speaker for music -- Boosts morale. I was contemplating getting one small enough to fit on a bottle holder on my bike on amazon primeday. Im sad that i didnt.

- Head/helmet torch -- bloody handy, good to have
Glad you enjoyed the ride. And hope that you'll be back for another.
My bold.
What's wrong with headphones?
It may surprise you to hear that for some riders this ride is, in part, about the quiet and the stillness of the night.
This would not be the first year that there have been complaints from local residents, about loud conversations taking place beneath bedroom windows at four in the morning.
Just sayin' like....

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I tagged along with several folk and groups and had a few conversations here and there. My lights held out but I popped a fresh battery in on the beach as I still had a darkish ride to Lowestoft for my lift home.
Only one issue was a drawing pin in my front tyre, picked up in a village at about 50 miles. There was a broken bottle on the road and I then heard a clicking as I rode along.
I suspect idiots were out and about in the wee small hours..

Tg
Glad you enjoyed the ride. And hope that you'll be back for another.
My bold.
What's wrong with headphones?
It may surprise you to hear that for some riders this ride is, in part, about the quiet and the stillness of the night.
This would not be the first year that there have been complaints from local residents, about loud conversations taking place beneath bedroom windows at four in the morning.
Just sayin' like....
+1

The Facebook group has been deluged with complaints from villagers about the noise.

So - no speakers. Please.

The behaviour of a small minority over the years has worn out our welcome in a number of villages that are ideally situated for the big halfway stop but where we are now no longer welcome.

The lesson as always is, think of others and tread lightly.

Again, just sayin'.

bladesman73

Über Member
rode my first dd last night. wow that was an experience, so many cyclists, started to bonk on the long darks roads to framlingham but managed to get some scran there. those last few miles....

U

User10571

rode my first dd last night. wow that was an experience, so many cyclists, started to bonk on the long darks roads to framlingham but managed to get some scran there. those last few miles....
Kudos!
Once you have the measure of it, it becomes easier.

Top Bottom