In praise of cycling caps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
A functional item to protect from wind, rain, sun and sweat but an expressive one too. It can be worn jauntily, with determination or even with determined jauntiness to express personality or mood.

There's some fine examples of cap-arrangement in this short film of a Canadian cycle race in the '60s...

https://www.nfb.ca/film/60_cycles_en

The only rotational injury likely when wearing one is a kind of Chinese burn as it swizzles around your noggin (DAMHIKT) and it keeps your tresses in good shape like a hair net.

These small hats look ridiculous of course so it's a mistake to ask non-cyclists, or anyone really: 'How do I look?' At best there'll be a momentary hesitation before the inevitably unconvincing response: 'Umm... fine?'

Instead wear with confidence. No matter how in reality you look you should feel like this:

raleigh-smoke-620x402.jpg

rather than this:
4584498084_pre.jpg

I love a cycling cap.

cuberider

Über Member
I've been meaning to get one for ages.

Worn beneath the helmet to keep sun and/or rain out of the eyes. Makes you a Rule 5 or 9 type. Definitely. Needs to say something serious, though. Campagnolo for example. Definitely no post-classical guff like Shimano, Trek or, heavens preserve us, Specialized (sic).

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I delayed procuring one for fear of looking a right knob.
Christmas Palnet X sale, £2.99 ea. Hmmm....worth a try.

Love it under the helmet with peak up. as it keeps my head warm and rain away. Love it! However whenever I stop and remove my helmet, I also remove the cap. Still fear looking like a right knob. Fluorescent shoes, Lycra tights, snug jersey....fine, look cool. Cap? F*** off!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 4118838, member: 259"]To add a jarring note, if it's peeing down and you wear glasses, baseball caps are better, as most cycling caps are not very good at keeping the rain out of your eyes.

But they are not as cool![/QUOTE]

Baseball cap is my head gear of choice for my day to day commuting duties.

IBarrett

Über Member
I wear a baseball cap for my commute.
Its a scabby looking thing but it keeps my head a bit warmer and the rain which seems incessant right now out of my eyes.
I like to think wearing a beaten up old cap with a Paris St. Germain badge on it instead of the usual NYC etc gives me a bit of street cred.
But I'm 53 so what the hell do I know about that !

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There are three basic styles: the old-fashioned 'box' style had a bit more air-space for keeping cool as well as shaded in summer; the newer version is rounder and stitched concentrically – still not bad, and perhaps a tiny bit more aero; finally the American version which has a smaller peak and is more 'fitted'.
Each of these has a winter version, made of heavier material and with a woollen ear-and-neck flap. These are the most difficult to find.

Diggs

Veteran
I have more than I know what to do with, some suit/fit me better than others but all are ok under a helmet. Surely when calculated against the investment made, the most sophisticated cycling accessory VFM you can buy
Even handy to stick in a suitcase to protect a somewhat naked top of the head from the sun when relaxing on the beach on those initial days on hols.
I'm sure I'll add more to the collection, always a sucker for an unusual one or a "free" offer and the kids look cute in them too (Though Diglet minor hasn't worn his since Laura Trott signed it)

I have 2 that I got as a freebie from sportives I entered. When they say "one size fits all" they're lying. Have a large head they just about squeeze on and look anything but cool. Wish I had a good one.

Top Bottom