Dunwich Dynamo 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spark303

Guru
Anyone know how it'll work if you're not going towards London? Like how to book Ipswich-Peterborough or -Cambridge? Norwich is the same distance as Ipswich if you shortcut the cycle routes, so I guess that's as easy to ride to as train.
I was told by the GA guy that posts on the Dynamo Facebook page that other routes out of Ipswich Eg. to Cambridge, would just be subject to the normal restrictions ie. no booking needed, max four non-folding bikes first come, first served etc.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Unfortunately I decided to call it a day at The Bell near Braintree/Sudbury.

I didn't count on it being this cold and I'm out in a Tshirt and gilet.

I was hoping to make it to the next stop with the burgers but that's a bridge too far on this occasion.

However I beat my PB for 40miles. Done it in 1hr40mins

Pity. Didn't do it myself this year - stuff intervened.
I always remember barry's barry mason's written advice about the pre dawn chill. First year I did have extra layers but was too lazy/focussed to put them on. So just had a t shirt, maybe a base layer. And suffered.
Surprised you went so lightly clad though as you have done it before.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I quit at Needham Market and headed back to Ipswich. I don't think I've been so cold on a night ride before. But the real reason I had to quit was that my arse was in agony! I've had the same Charge Spoon for at least seven years now, probably bought off here for a tenner. Time for an upgrade!

How cold was it/could it have been?

I've ridden in some very low temperatures, only deterred by risks of ice.

Were you well prepared?

Seems odd the saddle suddenly turned to agony. Have you recently moved it?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was told by the GA guy that posts on the Dynamo Facebook page that other routes out of Ipswich Eg. to Cambridge, would just be subject to the normal restrictions ie. no booking needed, max four non-folding bikes first come, first served etc.
It looks like that is what happened. It was a headwind home from the Harwich ferry, so our group of 8 non-folding bikes managed to take the two through trains northwest without problem, four on each train. The table for the wheelchair users opposite the bike space had been removed on the Cambridge train (easily allowing another three bikes) and the guard after Ipswich was fairly liberal, allowing two extra bikes on at Ipswich, one at Stowmarket, two at a stop before Bury, two at Newmarket, with three off at Bury. The queue was visible at Ipswich, as were the ban warning signs on the southbound platforms at Needham Market and Stowmarket.

nonowt

Über Member
It was 18oC, I have no idea why that felt cold. I think the pain came from the lack of time I've spent in the saddle recently.

I had the same every time I stopped (Bell Inn at Great Barfield, Cyclist at Sudbury and the Needham Market coffee stop). When it was time to get back on I'd be visibly shaking but after a mile or two I'd be fine. I was just in s/s jersey and arm warmers plus bibshorts..). I think it was about 11°c and drizzling when I was at Needham at about 3.30am. Should have put my base layer on but wasn't thinking straight with the shaking!

I had the same every time I stopped (Bell Inn at Great Barfield, Cyclist at Sudbury and the Needham Market coffee stop). When it was time to get back on I'd be visibly shaking but after a mile or two I'd be fine. I was just in s/s jersey and arm warmers plus bibshorts..). I think it was about 11°c and drizzling when I was at Needham at about 3.30am. Should have put my base layer on but wasn't thinking straight with the shaking!

I stopped at Needham Lakes, sat by the water, necked two cans of Coke that were so cold they were turning to slush, then proceeded to shake uncontrollably for what felt like 5 minutes (but was in reality a lot shorter), and reasoned to myself that I just needed to get up and get going again - which I did. That was my last stop until Dunwich, and the last 10 miles or so was very much running on empty :smile: Massive fun though - loved the 3-4 guys standing in the middle of nowhere clapping and cheering around 1.45am - presumably they were locals who didn't want to keep their neighbours up!

3rd - 4th July next year from what I read earlier - I'm in! So if anyone wants a lift back London/Essexwards after, just let me know...

Sounds like some of you folk repeated my first time mistake. And the wind chill got to you. After that first year I have always used my layers.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Many new to night riding underestimate how warm it will be. The same air temperature at night will mean you will be much colder than during the day. There is no solar radiation warming you up. The forecasts also have a range of temperatures and can easily be up to 6c colder than headline temps. Plus you will get cold pockets of air in hollows and dips. Always take some warmer layers for overnight. An emergency silver blanket can also be useful in case of an accident or mechanical which brings you to an extended stop.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The forecasts also have a range of temperatures and can easily be up to 6c colder than headline temps.
Not only that, but the forecast temperatures are generally in towns, which can be 2c (summer) to 4c (winter) higher than where you'll be cycling. It's a good point, worth making before next year's DD!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
if you like night riding there's a well-known club that does it many times a year
https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/
is the website. £2 annual membership, rides from London every month, also from York, Bristol, Manchester.
Next one is to Whitstable in early August - we've been doing it for years have have about 50-120 riders - there's a Tail end charlie team for mechanicals, an all-Upper at the back and waymarkers at every junction. Halfway stop for whistable is at a village hall in Strood with a flat fee and profits going to charity.
also there's a tour in Europe every year - this year it was Ireland and we've done the Netherlands, France, Belgium.
You'd be very welcome.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Had a very fast and easy run. First time I've finished with anything left in the tank. No debilitating cramp for once (really loaded up on salt on Saturday - I sweat it out to the extent that my cycling clothes get white patches). Had three strong coffees during the night, ate little, rode a light fixed gear.

If you saw me, I was in the St. Raphael kit on a blue Harry Quinn steel track bike the same age as me. What a machine. Was with two other chaps from work all the way.

The secret to not getting cold is to keep stops short. The air temperature doesn't make much difference if your clothes are damp with sweat - you cool off very quickly.

Top Bottom