Dunwich Dynamo 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nonowt

Über Member
Had a very fast and easy run. First time I've finished with anything left in the tank. No debilitating cramp for once (really loaded up on salt on Saturday - I sweat it out to the extent that my cycling clothes get white patches). Had three strong coffees during the night, ate little, rode a light fixed gear.

If you saw me, I was in the St. Raphael kit on a blue Harry Quinn steel track bike the same age as me. What a machine. Was with two other chaps from work all the way.

The secret to not getting cold is to keep stops short. The air temperature doesn't make much difference if your clothes are damp with sweat - you cool off very quickly.

Fairly sure I saw you on route and possibly on the beach. We also made good time: built up speed after leaving Epping and pretty much kept the pace up until the finish (much to my suprise! I was sure I'd be spent by Sudbury). I was the stupidly tall guy riding 26" framed racing green Condor (1976 - a wee bit younger than me). My two pals were regular sized and on modern bikes.

This was my 4th trip to Dunwich but the first time on the Recumbent. It was much more comfortable than the DF. I started from Codicote and joined the route at Great Bardfield as I just keep coughing after a few minutes in London. Being on something different I.got to speak to quite a lot of riders through the night, I didn't see any other bents until i was heading home.
The food and coffee at the stops I visited were great and I made it to the beach at about 5:30.
I had breakfast and a short nap and headed for home. 25 hours door to door 19hrs moving 220 miles
See you next year.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Well... On the plus side....

2016 DD
2016.jpg

2019 DD

Meh.jpg

It wasnt like i was killing myself to do the same distance. Though the decrease in time could be because I decided to stick with the pack rather than stopping every few yards for a breather and waiting for a friend.

I absolutely died in 2016. cramp was just killing me the last 7miles of that run.

Definitely need to think about taking more layers or at least a softshell jacket. One of the ladies who sat at my table at The Bell had a woolly hat on, extra pairs of socks, tights and softshell.

I missed out on 2017 and 2018 DD rides so was hoping this would of been a fun return.

kimble

Veteran
I had the cold shaking thing too, which was unexpected given the conditions. I didn't record a temperature lower than 12C at any point during the ride, and I'm no stranger to night riding (this was easier than a Fridays ride because we didn't have the not-knowing-how-long-you're-going-to-be-stopped problem). I assume some weird combination of humidity, high temperature during the preceding few days and possibly feeling the cold more due to being a bit less lardy this year?

Anyway, made it to Dunwich in Lanterne Rouge position, on account of the people I was riding with struggling after the first 75km, and stopping for an hour to provide first aid to an injured rider. Camped at Kessingland, then carried on up the coast as far as Walcott before calling it a day on Tuesday morning due to my Achilles grumbling. (I'd originally planned to turn left at Skegness and tour my way back to Birmingham.)

I think I counted three other recumbents, including a Kingcycle on the other side of the Lea Bridge Road which may not have been part of the ride, and a Performer that I only saw at Dunwich. I last did the DunRun in 2012 or so, and noticed that there seemed to be a lot fewer people using crap bikes (as opposed to deliberately inappropriate bikes ridden for the challenge or comedy value) on the ride - not sure if that reflects a shift in demographics, or just greater availability of cheap road bikes. People also seemed to waste less time being lost, presumably on account of the rise of the smartphone.

I don't think I want to do it in touring mode again. Going quickly on a faster bike would be okay, except for the faff of trying to get home form Dunwich. TBH, the novelty value of this ride is over by the time you get to Sudbury, and there are much nicer night rides. I'm tempted to do it in reverse, but the prospect of having everyone's strobe-o-vision front lights in my face, and the final ride into London while tired, puts me off.

...the prospect of having everyone's strobe-o-vision front lights in my face, and the final ride into London while tired, puts me off.

I was amazed when cycling away from the beach and back to find my van near Darsham, at the brightness of the oncoming constant stream of lights. It was starting to get light by then (4.20-ish) but the lights coming across the Heath towards me were properly fierce. Maybe it's because I was tired but as I said, it was already getting light by then, and I was sitting up on a road bike - so I can imagine that on a 'bent or, heaven forbid, in a car, they must have been pretty dazzling!

Ah that's a thread in itself.

A particular bugbear of mine.

I think the last time i did the dynamo was the same as roubaixcube's time before this.

I do fear that as it gets ever bigger and more full-on it is somewhat losing its charm.

Was the kingcycle mentioned above by any chance the puncture fairy that is @bobcolover. ??

kimble

Veteran
Ah that's a thread in itself.
A particular bugbear of mine.

Dazzle is, to some extent, unavoidable. Even a correctly-aligned StVZO-compliant light can be dazzling in proper darkness (especially when there's an element of up and down to the road surface), and we can't expect those to make up more than a small fraction of the lighting on a group ride.

It's the flashing that really baffles me. I can understand why it might seem like a good idea to prevent SMIDSYs in the daytime when it's hammering down with rain, and I don't mind it on the rear, but for seeing where you're going in darkness it's actually a hindrance. I'm never sure if people do it out of fear of cars, or in order to conserve battery life.

I do fear that as it gets ever bigger and more full-on it is somewhat losing its charm.

For me the size of it *is* it's charm. There's very little else going for it, other than some reasonable roads in mid Suffolk. As I say, there are nicer night rides (with more considerate fellow riders) and there are certainly much better destinations.

Was the kingcycle mentioned above by any chance the puncture fairy that is @bobcolover. ??

Nope, wasn't him. And no fairing.

Well I did do it on my kingcycle with the rear yellow fairing. I didnt see any other Kingcycles on the ride or at the start or finish with or without fairings front or rear. I met a very tall gent on a HPV Grasshopper with a flag at the start and again some way into the ride... but never got his name; and didnt see him at Dunwich, and I didnt see any other recumbents.
I'd had bad leg cramps a few years ago so kept very well topped up with High 5 Zero and didnt get any cramp at all this year. The first half seemed a bit easier and after a burger at Sudbury firestation the second half was very ok . The coffee etc place at Needham Lakes was mobbed. I had NO visits from the puncture fairy; which was very nice, just a slight mechanical with the front derailleur which I managed to deal with.
Numbers were big, and at times I was overtaken by some very fast people. I normally like the descent into Sudbury but there was a new tarmac road surface that I really didnt like at all; it felt like the tyres had no grip on the surface, the last 1/3rd mile downhill was ok into the town. Did anyone else notice that?
I left at 7.45 and did about 9 hours cycling, getting in under 11 hours with stops. Went swimming; good breakfast, flew my 2 line kite on the beach and then the 10 am coach/ artic for the bike home, although the coach was slightly delayed in leaving. I think someone had been taken ill just as the 9 am bus was about to leave. Uneventful sleep on the coach home.

It definitely seemed easier this year, dont quite know why. I had 2 sets of friends on DFs who were much faster but i just kept my own pace. Saw two ladies from the FNRTTC, May , who wasn't on her usual Brompton but a rather nice titanium number, and her friend whose name embarrassingly I forget...
The night didnt seem at all chilly and although I did wear gloves probably coinciding with the hours of darkness and also a very thin thermal long sleeve number from Uniqlo which is really great and very light. There was very slight rain around 4/5 am but nothing that was any bother.
Inspired to do it next year again.
bob

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well... On the plus side....

2016 DD
View attachment 475944

2019 DD

View attachment 475945

It wasnt like i was killing myself to do the same distance. Though the decrease in time could be because I decided to stick with the pack rather than stopping every few yards for a breather and waiting for a friend.

I absolutely died in 2016. cramp was just killing me the last 7miles of that run.

Definitely need to think about taking more layers or at least a softshell jacket. One of the ladies who sat at my table at The Bell had a woolly hat on, extra pairs of socks, tights and softshell.

I missed out on 2017 and 2018 DD rides so was hoping this would of been a fun return.

Your earlier post said you covered 40 miles in 1:40, guess you meant 4:10. Bit of a difference!

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I quite like the roads in the second half, gravel aside It's the bit from the start to NWB that I don't like.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Your earlier post said you covered 40 miles in 1:40, guess you meant 4:10. Bit of a difference!

I remember what i said now. I said i beat my personal best for most distance travelled in 1hr40mins. though i had forgot to mention the distance travelled part. Its one of those fancy garmin alerts when you end a ride. Thats where the 1hr40 came from.

nonowt

Über Member
Second time doing it for me. Last year definitely seemed more mixed in terms of riders and bikes. More lycra and road bikes this year and very few people who looked like they'd found a bike at the back of the shed and decided to give it a go. Personally I think that could be more down to the random nature of who turns up on the day than a shift to a more serious ride. Or maybe more people (in London/SE) are cycling more seriously? I like the mix but don't mind either way- loved it both years. I even enjoy waiting in the pub for 3hrs for the lift home!

I saw maybe 1/2 dozen recumbents maybe, including one with two riders (whatever they're called).

I agree that the size is it's charm (and enables the food stalls and people waving from pubs and gardens), along with the folly of riding somewhere that for the most part disappeared centuries ago and is difficult to get back from. A mass ride to say, Folkstone or Felixstowe, wouldn't be as magically daft.

kimble

Veteran
One for Kimble. I am considering doing this on recumbent next year but wonder if all the tail lights will kill my vision.

Disclaimer: I'm one of the lucky 0.01% with a reduced sensitivity to red light, which means when I'm not failing to discriminate yellow/green or purple/blue, I'm generally unbothered by supposedly 'bright' red lights. Red is a dark colour for me. *shrugs*

That said, I do prefer the Streetmachine for night riding, because the eye level (about car driver eye height) is out of the beam of oncoming headlights. The glare can get tedious on the ICE trike or the Baron low-racer, though those do of course have other advantages. Once you're out of Epping, oncoming vehicles are fairly infrequent on the Dun Run, but if you find rear bike lights bright, it could get annoying. But nowhere near as annoying as a saddle after 100 miles of riding.

One of the years a big group of us from YACF rode together, I discovered that I was getting repeatedly dazzled by a specular reflection of my own headlight off the outer surface of another rider's rear light (one of those sensible B&M rack-mounted ones with the nice big reflector). That got rather tedious, but could happen on anything with the wrong combination of angles. A bit like following someone with one of those ProVis jackets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom