Dunwich Dynamo 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Dunwich Dynamo 2020
July 4th.

Do we think it will be on, or cancelled this year, or will some just ride it anyway?

🤔

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ah crystal ball gazing and looking at the alignment of the planets.

Reactions: mjr

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If there is no cafe at the end, no pop-up stops and no coaches home - I'm surprised Southwark Cyclists haven't pulled the plug yet - its appeal is limited and about 30 people might do it. You'd need to carry everything and quite possibly ride back too, although trains are a more likely option if there are very few people. Personally I think Patrick Field should declare this one null and void and make the 2021 edition DD XXVIII.

I'm out already as our coach has been cancelled.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have always thought about doing it , but can't see it being on in 2020 :sad:
It's a fun ride! First time, I rode with a mate, and his wife met us near the end with their camping stove and a cool box full of breakfast and beer 🍻 (at 04.30 on a Sunday morning hic)
Second time was a train to London, ride to London Fields to batter my way through clouds of 'fragrant' smoke to the start point.
I'd arranged with my boss that it was OK to hitch a lift back to my depot near Kettering with a night load to Lowestoft. All I had to do was make certain I got to Lowestoft by 06.00 for my lift to within 12 miles of home by 10.00 ish.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If we are cleared by then I'd be even more inclined to do it.
Yeah, there's a temptation to do it as a mix of "I thought I would some day and this has reminded me there may not be many more days", "all my other tours this summer are toast", "the worst sportivers might not be there" and "up yours covid-19", but with a probable lack of long rides between now and then, plus I've never camped, the 200-300 miles of cycling involved for me will probably be too much even if the restrictions ease enough to make it possible.

But like others, I doubt enough restrictions will have been lifted enough by July, so any assemblies at London Fields or Dunwich beach, or many people to ride on the same road even with spacing, will probably be prevented by government and/or police.

We'll see - last time I did it I effectively cycled it mega loaded (could hardly hold the bike straight when off it) continuously from south London to a roadside verge just outside Caister on Sea.

nonowt

Über Member
Did it last year and the year before (not sure why I didn't do it sooner as it literally goes past my house within the 1st mile or so) and was looking forward to round 3. But I really can't see it happening this year. Even if schools and offices are reopened, I don't think that level of social mixing and movement would be a good idea. If it did go ahead it could cause bad feeling in all those sleepy villages the route travels through and whose tolerance and support the DD relies on.

Having said that, its not organised so obviously people can turn up and do it self-supported anyway ...providing they don't get busted and have to explain why their 1 hour of exercise has somehow landed them in Sudbury at 3AM!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
One of the feed stops has definitely cancelled now. I can't see any of them working if 2m social distancing is in place - the queue for Sudbury fire station would reach back to the edge of town.

Should this thread be moved to recreational rides? I think Barry Mason would turn in his grave if people called the DD a sportive 🤮

Top Bottom