Dura-Ace cassette cracked and sprocket snapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2's been away on holiday with his bike. During the holiday a sprocket snapped, cracking the sprocket holder: Apparently it was in several pieces down the road as he went uphill, then down on the tarmac :B) . Too much power? :training: ... from a 53kg rider ... not a chance :laugh:

PXL_20220919_154626230.jpg

It's a Dura-Ace 9000 cassette and it looks like the 19 tooth sprocket's gone, cracking the holder at the same time (at the bottom).

PXL_20220919_155934725.jpg

Has anyone else had this issue? It's only been on a few weeks, but was a lightly-used cassette on arrival. And I'm guessing I can use any 19/21/23 Shimano 11-speed cassette section to fit?

Oh, and please take every opportunity to note that his bike's dirty :whistle:

Last edited:
Oh, and please take every opportunity to note that his bike's dirty :whistle:
And upside down 😱

faster

Über Member
This was common when these were current. The solution is to use something else. Ultegra, for instance, didn't have the same issue.

Ripple

Veteran
My misfortune from 2018 ride. Dura Ace 9000. Snapped out of the blue - no steep uphill riding, simply wanted to change a gear and couldn't, stopped to look what's the reason - the reason was oops! Replaced with Shimano 105 cassette and no probs so far.

da.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: C R

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
He must have overdone the spinach… :whistle:

A quick Googling suggests that DA9000 cassettes have issues, even after Shimano made changes during production. Never had anything like that happen to me with 105 or Ultegra (or Campagnolo).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hope your son is OK and doing better than his bike.

(Which is dirty, by the way)

Ajax Bay

Guru
105 best till 18, David, with the occasional ride on a bike with down tube friction levers so he knows what he's missing. You're are spoiling him, maybe to avoid the accusation that you favour his older brother ("X has DA" etc).
I had the same problem with hockey sticks, bitd, and now look: she's found someone to provide her with DA everything and a Muc-off special 'just for the race'. 17 days and counting!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Ajax Bay - he's had some nice kit but you'd be surprised at the cost; i.e. the BeOne Raw above he trains on and has raced cost under £500 for him to build including getting the frame for £100 from someone who'd had a go and gave up. It's got a DA/Ultegra mix and carbon wheels. And he built it, not me. The only aspect has been sourcing parts very carefully.

In terms of brothers son no. 1 thinks cyclists are stupid; why ride for coffee and cake when you can have coffee and cake at home?

So maybe he's spoilt. But on a budget :okay: The only new bike in the last five years has been his team Ridley, otherwise it's been second-hand so if they get damaged it's not too much of an expense.

Oh, and he's taking both the orange 1975 Carlton Corsa fixie conversion plus a kid's converted Spesh Hotrock to university for commuting. No decent new commuter for him.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
He must have overdone the spinach… :whistle:

A quick Googling suggests that DA9000 cassettes have issues, even after Shimano made changes during production. Never had anything like that happen to me with 105 or Ultegra (or Campagnolo).

You don't get that with DA 7400. All gone downhill since

Jameshow

Veteran
@Ajax Bay - he's had some nice kit but you'd be surprised at the cost; i.e. the BeOne Raw he trains on and has raced cost under £500 for him to build including getting the frame for £100 from someone who'd had a go and gave up. It's got a DA/Ultegra mix and carbon wheels. And he built it, not me. The only aspect has been sourcing parts very carefully.

In terms of brothers son no. 1 thinks cyclists are stupid; why ride for coffee and cake when you can have coffee and cake at home?

So maybe he's spoilt. But on a budget :okay: The only new bike in the last five years has been his team Ridley, otherwise it's been second-hand so if they get damaged it's not too much of an expense.

Oh, and he's taking both the orange 1975 Carlton Corsa fixie conversion plus a kid's converted Spesh Hotrock to university for commuting. No decent new commuter for him.

Much like my focus izalco pro team frame from 2012 build up with 4700!🤣🤣🤣

Reynolds solitude wheels, flite saddle and Caron bars less than 8kg.

Top Bottom