What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Really? I've generally got on well with them.

These took a bit of fettling to get them working properly, someone had been there before and messed about with them.

I ended up pulling them all apart, cleaning and refitting them. They now sit nice and straight in the frame.

I like a nice Campagnolo calliper brake

These took a bit of fettling to get them working properly, someone had been there before and messed about with them.

I ended up pulling them all apart, cleaning and refitting them. They now sit nice and straight in the frame.

I like a nice Campagnolo calliper brake

We had a nice bike donated last week with caliper brakes; I'm going to have to work out how to fix them now.

I have been having such fun for the last couple of days fitting a Mavic 851 ssc rear mech to my Look kg253. Now l confess that l am more arty than mechanically minded and after having installed the mech upside down l now have it the right way up thanks to advice from various people on facebook. My next challenge will be to lengthen the 10sp chain (another recommendation via facebook folk) . Anyway here is a photo of the current state of play. Don't know why it isn't the right way up but you get the general idea l hope !
tempImageIcPsxu.png

keithmac

Guru
Engine finally out of our MK2 Golf 16v, along with subframe/ steering rack etc.

A lot to be getting on with but it will be back on the road!

My lad was a massive help today, tought him a bit about fuel injection and ignition systems and he tought me that time on the spanners actually can be enjoyable!.

Modified a trolley to get it through the house, only just fit!.

Managed to get the obligatory sat in the engine bay pic, just love spending quality time with him and can't wait to take him out for a spin when it's finished 😀

20220905_140148.jpg

20220905_140703.jpg

20220905_172753.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having bought this bike back four years after selling it I've probably saved it (again) from being turned into bean cans. Bought in 2017 when it was missing many parts it's back having had at least one big bump, leading to a damaged rear mech hanger and tensioner.

Back in 2017 we turned a 99p damaged 2016 Specialized Hotrock Street into a 24"-wheeled single speed bike for teenagers/adults. Think "over-size BMX" and you get the idea. Fast-forward four years and it's back with us and put back into use. We've done:
  • Frame thoroughly cleaned, scratches/chips touched-up
  • Headset tightened, bars straightened, brake lever sorted
  • Seatpost loosened, cleaned and re-greased. Getting the seized and fully-lowered 400mm seatpost to move took some ... effort ! :heat:
  • New rear mech hanger
  • Replacement single speed tensioner thanks to a freebie from @DCBassman :okay: which was for a still-not-started project back in 2020 :blush:
  • New rear tyre, sold with/supplied back, to match the front
  • New Clarks Elite MTB brake pads front & rear
  • New rear gear cable, noodle & guide pipe
  • Shimano A530 SPD/flat pedals instead of the kiddie ones
  • New grease into the front wheel
  • Wheels trued
  • Brakes adjusted
It's geared to reach 20+mph with kiddie cranks and now should stop better than originally.

DSC00685.JPG

All ready for use by son no. 2 at Center Parcs next week and university in Nottingham later this month. Given the theft rate of bikes at universities ( :cursing: ) this should be distinctive enough to deter most thieves, along with his orange Carlton Corsa fixie, which co-incidentally we also probably saved from being bean cans. If not, tracking it down may be easier. He'll have other bikes in his room (race / training / track) but these can be in the bike shed.

Oh, and if you now want to borrow your kid's bike, put a stupdily long seatpost in to see if it's fun to ride? It is 😊

Last edited:

8mph

Veteran
Having bought this bike back four years after selling it I've probably saved it (again) from being turned into bean cans. Bought in 2017 when it was missing many parts it's back having had at least one big bump, leading to a damaged rear mech hanger and tensioner.

Back in 2017 we turned a 99p damaged 2016 Specialized Hotrock Street into a 24"-wheeled single speed bike for teenagers/adults. Think "over-size BMX" and you get the idea. Fast-forward four years and it's back with us and put back into use. We've done:
  • Frame thoroughly cleaned, scratches/chips touched-up
  • Headset tightened, bars straightened, brake lever sorted
  • Seatpost loosened, cleaned and re-greased. Getting the seized and fully-lowered 400mm seatpost to move took some ... effort ! :heat:
  • New rear mech hanger
  • Replacement single speed tensioner thanks to a freebie from @DCBassman :okay: which was for a still-not-started project back in 2020 :blush:
  • New rear tyre, sold with/supplied back, to match the front
  • New Clarks Elite MTB brake pads front & rear
  • New rear gear cable, noodle & guide pipe
  • Shimano A530 SPD/flat pedals instead of the kiddie ones
  • New grease into the front wheel
  • Wheels trued
  • Brakes adjusted
It's geared to reach 20+mph with kiddie cranks and now should stop better than originally.

View attachment 660175

All ready for use by son no. 2 at Center Parcs next week and university in Nottingham later this month. Given the theft rate of bikes at universities ( :cursing: ) this should be distinctive enough to deter most thieves, along with his orange Carlton Corsa fixie, which co-incidentally we also probably saved from being bean cans. If not, tracking it down may be easier. He'll have other bikes in his room (race / training / track) but these can be in the bike shed.

Oh, and if you now want to borrow your kid's bike, put a stupdily long seatpost in to see if it's fun to ride? It is 😊

It looks fantastic. Assuming this started off with 26" wheels, did standard V-brakes work for the 24" conversion?

Top Bottom