What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry to ask but what is an air tag?
Tracking device.

Hebe

getting better all the time
It is a tracking device, made by Apple. It could be unscrewed, and would announce its presence within a few hours of being nicked. Not perfect by any stretch, but given that I've already interrupted one drunk and stoned bike thief trying to nick it in broad daylight from under cctv cameras I think anything is better than nothing. This is in addition to a new lock and locking wheel skewers.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I completed the installation of the new BB on my Devon bike and have just been out for a short test ride.

The good news is that I now have a nice clean new BB on the bike.

The other good news is that I think I have a decent used BB to put in my spares box here.

The bad news is that that's because the ticking/creaking noise on the bike is still there, so the old BB will probably be reusable after a good clean! :wacko:

No harm done (except to my bank balance!) - clean is good, spares are good. It just means that I have to carry on looking for the cause of the noise.

I now suspect that it would be good to whip the cassette off, grease the splines on the freehub, and reinstall the cassette with the lockring nice and snug. Maybe I didn't tighten the lockring enough when I fitted the cassette? I don't have a torque wrench and have a history of overtightening things, so I have been trying to avoid it. I might have gone too far the other way.

The other thing I saw suggested was to lube the spoke nipple/rim holes. I would be surprised if noisy nipples are to blame but it is easy to check so I will do that now. I don't have a cassette tool or chainwhip here so I can't tackle the cassette this visit.

Chislenko

Veteran
Just out of interest has anyone "fashioned" a tool for removal / replacement of press fit BB's.

Looks a straightforward job but the cost of the bespoke tools looks not worth it if you are only doing it once.

Fitted new tyres to my wife’s ‘best’ bike. The rear had developed a flat spot, in the centre, all round the circumference. Whilst doing that I noted that the chain needed replacing and, as it turned out, so did the cassette. What should have been a quick job took significantly longer than expected.

The old tyres had been on for some time and were a complete nuisance to remove. I suspect that if she have punctured whilst out on her own, or with friends, she would not have been able to remove them herself.

Gunk

Guru
I decided to service and clean the pub bike today, cost us £15 about 18 months ago and my son has used it almost daily, it lives under the porch so it has a pretty tough life. I didn’t realise quite how bad it was.

86E4C129-7E62-458B-84FB-2CDCF74306ED.jpeg

E1B260E4-F788-4C66-A78A-DF3B194B6886.jpeg

F2FF9B44-55CE-4632-BA15-ECF4492AB773.jpeg

I carried out the following jobs - Pub bike rules means zero or minimum expenditure

Deep clean
New bottom bracket (found one in my box in the garage)
Cleaned and lubricated the drive train
adjusted the indexing
adjusted the headset
adjusted the brakes, took over half an hour!
Trued both wheels

671222D1-F53D-47C6-BC5F-FABB74BDD9F7.jpeg

The rear tyre was toast, I had a set of Specialized 26 x 2.0 tyres on the shelf in the garage but they were too wide for the rear, so currently the serviceable front tyre has been swapped to the rear and the front 26 x 2.0 is temporary, I’ve found a couple of matching Panaracers on eBay, if I win them, I’ll sell the Specialized tyres to pay for them. Also gives me a spare.

My son had a quick test ride and couldn't believe it was same bike!

C4541D4D-54D2-445F-A238-A6BEC3ED5E5B.jpeg

B76F33BE-EAF4-43D3-9C6F-563B008E5FB6.jpeg

Last edited:
I completed the installation of the new BB on my Devon bike and have just been out for a short test ride.

The good news is that I now have a nice clean new BB on the bike.

The other good news is that I think I have a decent used BB to put in my spares box here.

The bad news is that that's because the ticking/creaking noise on the bike is still there, so the old BB will probably be reusable after a good clean! :wacko:

No harm done (except to my bank balance!) - clean is good, spares are good. It just means that I have to carry on looking for the cause of the noise.

I now suspect that it would be good to whip the cassette off, grease the splines on the freehub, and reinstall the cassette with the lockring nice and snug. Maybe I didn't tighten the lockring enough when I fitted the cassette? I don't have a torque wrench and have a history of overtightening things, so I have been trying to avoid it. I might have gone too far the other way.

The other thing I saw suggested was to lube the spoke nipple/rim holes. I would be surprised if noisy nipples are to blame but it is easy to check so I will do that now. I don't have a cassette tool or chainwhip here so I can't tackle the cassette this visit.

Chainring bolts maybe?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Chainring bolts maybe?

They had Loctite on the threads but I undid them, cleaned the chainring (it is a 1x11 bike), bolts, and cranks and then reassembled everything.

I also noticed that the headset was not quite as tight as it probably should be. Even though there wasn't any obvious play in the headset, there was a creaking from the front end of the bike when I stood behind the bike and pushed and pulled against the front brake. I tightened the headset a little and checked that there was not any problem turning the bars after that.

I greased the QRs.

I also heard a little rubbing from the disk brakes which I almost entirely got rid of by adjusting them. (A bit of a compromise there because the static pads have to be close to the rotors for efficient braking so they do still occasionally brush against the rotors but now not enough to annoy me.)

The bike is significantly quieter now, but the main noise is still there. I am fairly sure that removing the cassette, cleaning everything, greasing the freehub splines and reassembling with the correct torque on the lockring will fix that. (Famous last words! :whistle:)

They had Loctite on the threads but I undid them, cleaned the chainring (it is a 1x11 bike), bolts, and cranks and then reassembled everything.

I also noticed that the headset was not quite as tight as it probably should be. Even though there wasn't any obvious play in the headset, there was a creaking from the front end of the bike when I stood behind the bike and pushed and pulled against the front brake. I tightened the headset a little and checked that there was not any problem turning the bars after that.

I greased the QRs.

I also heard a little rubbing from the disk brakes which I almost entirely got rid of by adjusting them. (A bit of a compromise there because the static pads have to be close to the rotors for efficient braking so they do still occasionally brush against the rotors but now not enough to annoy me.)

The bike is significantly quieter now, but the main noise is still there. I am fairly sure that removing the cassette, cleaning everything, greasing the freehub splines and reassembling with the correct torque on the lockring will fix that. (Famous last words! :whistle:)
Does sound like the cassette now; trouble with these sort of noises is they could be from anywhere as the sound source is hard to pin down.

Top Bottom