What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

You're missing the parsley ;)

Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme, a great Simon And Garfunkel album.

Last edited by a moderator:

GuyBoden

Guru
Installed a new 40T Cassette on the winter bike. Rear Derailleur "B" stop screw is screwed in, so it clears the 40T sprocket. Using a Shimano MTB 10 speed RD-M781 SGS (No clutch) with Dia-Compe Silver friction shifters.

Installed a new rear inner brake cable for the v-brakes on the winter bike, because I noticed it was slightly frayed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
replaced the pedals on the carbon for another set i found in my parts bin 2 days after ordering a new set :blush:, the old set was definitely worn as the outside of the pedal where the shoe rests and the cleat twists out over had a groove in it .
I do like my cleats tight so im guessing over time it wore a groove as i unclipped and they were second hand to start with and now the was a squeak as i pedalled that no amount of lube could stop for more than an hour or 2 and the pedal was a bit loose even on max tightness

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
replaced the pedals on the carbon for another set i found in my parts bin 2 days after ordering a new set :blush:, the old set was definitely worn as the outside of the pedal where the shoe rests and the cleat twists out over had a groove in it .
I do like my cleats tight so im guessing over time it wore a groove as i unclipped and they were second hand to start with and now the was a squeak as i pedalled that no amount of lube could stop for more than an hour or 2 and the pedal was a bit loose even on max tightness
after about 50 miles the creak came back :sad:
its only the right shoe which is odd , i will try altering the cleat angle a bit but looking at the shoes i have had them years and the inner heel is worn inside so maybe this is a factor ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
after about 50 miles the creak came back :sad:
its only the right shoe which is odd , i will try altering the cleat angle a bit but looking at the shoes i have had them years and the inner heel is worn inside so maybe this is a factor ?
I had that happen on a 100 km ride in Devon on Thursday after 50 km, only in my case it was on the left side. I noticed that the sole of the left shoe is much more worn than the one on the other side. Damn annoying! A squirt of GT85 on the shoe's sole and the pedal shut the row up for a while, but it came back for the second half of the ride. I'll have to see if I can find a more effective solution. Slightly realigning the cleat might help, but the allen bolt holes are worn so it might be tricky to loosen and retighten them.

The other thing that happened on the ride is that there was an annoying ticking sound coming from the transmission whenever I pedalled hard. I ordered a new BB, BB tool, and grease and they came by Amazon Prime delivery this evening.

I took the old BB out and found that the non-driveside bearing felt very smooth and was clean. Most of the noise on my ride had come from pressing down hard on the driveside pedal on steep climbs so I was expecting it to be the bearing on that side that was the problem. At first, that one felt ok too, but paying careful attention, I thought I could feel just a hint of roughness in it. That was just with hard finger pressure - obviously putting a lot of force through the crank on that side would put vastly more stress on the bearing. Also... the inside of the BB on that side was filthy, which definitely would not help!

I had read that SRAM recommend taking the BBs out and cleaning and regreasing the seals every 50 hours of riding. That tells me that the seals are very poor, and I found a lot of people complaining about them online but I will only be riding this bike*** in good weather and perhaps doing about 100 hours a year on it so I think I will just service the BB every summer.

I have been told that there is some degreaser in a box in one of the outbuildings here. I will have find it in the morning and give the BB area a good cleaning and greasing before installing the new BB. I hope that I end up with a nice quiet bike again so I can face doing another metric century here before going home.

*** The bike stays down here in Devon, to save me carting it up and down the country 4 times a year.

I had read that SRAM recommend taking the BBs out and cleaning and regreasing the seals every 50 hours of riding. That tells me that the seals are very poor,

That would mean taking my commuter bike to bits every few weeks.

This is a problem I've come across before; many components are designed for leisure use, not for people using bikes as transport.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That would mean taking my commuter bike to bits every few weeks.

This is a problem I've come across before; many components are designed for leisure use, not for people using bikes as transport.

This bike had been used as a commuter bike by its original owner. I have ridden about 1,000 km on it since then. It has been very good up until now.

TBH it probably wouldn't take that long to disassemble, clean, regrease, and reassemble the BB now that I know how to do it (and have the right tools) - I just think that every 50 hours is not a reasonable interval.

Reactions: C R

Hebe

getting better all the time
Yesterfettles: attaching an air tag and holder to my Marin. It fitted perfectly, but the metal water bottle cage now doesn't fit without fouling the frame. So I need to either get a plastic bottle cage, or move the airtag holder to the front fork so I can have the bottle cage on the fork.

601540D5-ED30-41DB-A0C8-16798E882962.jpeg

Plus air into assorted tyres.
Thought it was on upside-down but it's not. 😂

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Yesterfettles: attaching an air tag and holder to my Marin. It fitted perfectly, but the metal water bottle cage now doesn't fit without fouling the frame. So I need to either get a plastic bottle cage, or move the airtag holder to the front fork so I can have the bottle cage on the fork.

View attachment 659010
Plus air into assorted tyres.
Thought it was on upside-down but it's not. 😂

Sorry to ask but what is an air tag?

Top Bottom