What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
If they are definitely no longer captive, replace with standard bolts and tighten away...
That’s my plan . When I manage to get the bolts and now non captive nuts out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Commuter MTB desperately needs new chain, cassette, jockeys and big chain ring. I keep the chain ring in stock for both MTB's as they are a little hard to get - well the SRAM one is without paying £100 RRP). This is on a Shimano M570 5 arm chainset. I've got an original in stock, but looking like I'll need an order to Spa for a stronglight next time. Just got to nip to Decathlon for a 12-26 cassette and a chain at lunch.

Let's say they are worn - main cassette tooth wearing thin (only use 3 gears on the commute), big chain ring worn, and chain is way passed 'worn'. They have lasted a long time so can't complain. Cost (including existing chain ring) likely to be £60-£70, bear in mind chain ring was bought for £25, so pretty cheap. Wish my 2 x 10 speed MTB was as cheap. At least it's not 1 x 12 price.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I assume those left ate tight and spin trying to undo. Have you one of those handy dremmel type tools - they are dead handy - you may need to cut a slot in the nut to 'hold' them.
Yes the remaining ones are loose and turning . I do have a dremmel , I will need to buy some cutting discs . Then cut slot for screwdriver. Sounds like a plan .

fossyant

Not worn.

Much.
20220817_122746.jpg

20220817_125506.jpg

november4

Changed wheels, so added Shimano sprocket spacer to mate the 11 speed to the 10 speed freehub of new wheels (second hand wheels). Rattle free.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
View attachment 657621
I have a fettling problem, I discovered I have loose chainring bolts . It’s a Stronglight 2000 track chain set with captive back nuts for the bolts. The Problem the back nuts are no longer captive , there is no way to grip them . So any suggestions that don’t involve destroying the chain set or chain ring.
Thanks DC and Fossy . A few hours in the Velocave with my trusty Dremmel and Black and Decker and the problem solved . A bonus both the crank and the chainring survived unscathed.
I then spent a frustrating amount of time searching in boxes and drawers for some single chainring bolts . Then light bulb moment, why not look in the drawer marked “ Fixed Wheel parts .

8mph

Veteran
Had a right palaver trying to service an old Avid Elixir caliper. I don't have a bleed kit, don't have a piston extractor, so wasted about an hour then fitted a mechanical disk break and rotor. New grips on, spoke replaced, other minor tweeks to the new bike (29er)

It occurs to me that I may have bought the bike slightly in haste,what with all the minor issues and expenses. Bolts, seals, bearings and rear tyre, will all need replacing soon. The rims need a true and there's a creak in the headset or one of the bolts to resolve but hopefully it'll be ready for a test ride by the end of the week.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
@8mph Sounds like an excuse/ reason to buy more Tools .^_^

fossyant

Fitted a 'salvaged' mudflap to the rear guard of my commuter MTB. the front guard is just fancy gaffa tape, but made quite long to reduce mud splash. The rear has been taken of a broken set of raceblades (they weren't broken when I took them off my Ribble road bike but got 'bent in storage). Took off the mudflap, removed a bit of the rubber, then drilled a hole and fitted them to the wider MTB guards. Added a bit of silicone to stop them moving, jobs a good en.

Replacement BBB Rollerboy jockey wheels arrived today, so that's a more or less a new transmission on the commuter. Should last a year ! :laugh:

2022_08_19_Pedals_01.jpg

Swapped my old pedals for a new set, because one of the old pedals was clicking and I couldn't face riding on it daily until I got back to my workshop to repair it, and it's nearly 25 years old so it's probably time for replacement. I swapped the equally elderly cages for some toe caps while I was at it, on the basis I never understood the idea of tightening straps.

It's quite a historical moment really, as I learned to use toe cages with these pedals as a teenager: they were the reason for skinned elbows before I got used to them...

This was brought in by a chap who wanted a service. I have never seen one so bad and its a road bike !

The smaller jockey wheel was rarely moving which is why the mud is not so polished. Just keep coving the mud in WD40 and this is what it looks like.

View attachment 657977

View attachment 657978

My manager once asked "Why do you clean the bikes before you service them?"

Top Bottom