What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
I have bought one back to life as bad as that, I saw it as a challenge!

Yes thats the only way to look at it unless its a learning curve. Learning never to do his bike again. :laugh:

One of the bar ends on my commuter came loose after about 300 miles (maybe a result of that run in with a car bumper a few weeks before) and whilst I thought I'd saved it. Getting off the train must've been enough to dislodge it all together. So I ordered some new bar ends. My fettle tonight was just fitting them before bed. It's the type that you tighten with a hex key and touch wood I have never lost one of them in the past, and hopefully that trend continues.

buzz22

Über Member
I fitted a Topeak rack to my 1977 Raleigh Grand Prix today to make it a more pleasant ride.
20220822_170134.jpg

20220822_170144.jpg

20220822_170152.jpg

With some rubber lined 'P' clips to attach it to the frame it was an easy process.
There was some minor bending and aligning of brackets to allow clearance for the original centre pull rear brake but that was easy to do.
I gave the bike a quick going over and realised the only original parts left are the frame/fork and the rear brake.
With flat bars, 700c wheels with 28mm tyres, a nice seat and a modern dual pivot front brake it's a lovely ride.
The 70's front fork gives a nice smooth ride and the Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub makes life easy.
20220822_170200.jpg

Chislenko

Veteran
Fitted a new chain to the 11 speed but let one end go as I dropped the quick link. Threaded it back through the rear mech, did the quick link then the awful clicking told me the second time I threaded it through I had in my haste / ire put it the wrong side of the bracket on the rear mech!!

Undid quick link, threaded through correctly, reinstalled quick link and job's a good un!!

Big job today: strip Trek Navigator to frame and fork for disposal. Other work: remove bar ends from Marin, along with perished foam grips. New grips, reset cockpit to suit. Check, regrease and adjust front wheel bearings also.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Put new cables on my rohloff shifter. This is always a bit nerve wracking as the cut need needs to be accurate to meet the internal gear cable from the hub. I’m Experimenting with standard stainless steel Clark’s 1.1mm gear cable instead of Rohloff this time. Feels a good clean shift now, let’s see how it runs long term!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
This is an old water feature, it used to have a solar-powered pump and an array of jugs so water could trickle down.
Sadly, they all bit the dust while we were stuck in NZ for 5 months...
empty water feature.jpg

Gave it a quick clean (hence the cloth and detergent on the windowsill)
Then went off to the garden centre
I got pots
pots.jpg
And I got herbs
herbs.jpg

And I now have a herb garden!
herb garden.jpg
Top down, we have oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary and mint on the bottom :biggrin:

C R

Guru
This is an old water feature, it used to have a solar-powered pump and an array of jugs so water could trickle down.
Sadly, they all bit the dust while we were stuck in NZ for 5 months...
View attachment 658683

Gave it a quick clean (hence the cloth and detergent on the windowsill)
Then went off to the garden centre
I got pots
View attachment 658687
And I got herbs
View attachment 658688

And I now have a herb garden!
View attachment 658689
Top down, we have oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary and mint on the bottom :biggrin:

You're missing the parsley ;)

Top Bottom