What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2 has raided the parts shed for spare parts whilst he's away at university. As a result I've replaced them with:

2 x pairs of Clarks carbon brake pads. I'd prefer Swissstop's but nothing available outside of near full price.
3 x GP5000 tan wall tyres as they were £30 each from Sigma Sports. Tan wall is fine as the aesthetics are irrelevant.

He's got other things, but we had enough spares of those already.

razabbs

A Garmin 830 after discussions in the Accessories sub-forum. Like to go through with entry to Lincoln's Petit Grand Prix Sportive for this Sunday, too. Not done any rides over 25 miles this year (not sure why) so I'm deciding between the 47 mile route and the 67 mile route. I've done 100 milers in the past so I'm leaning towards the 67 mile with rest areas and food etc.

Gwylan

Veteran
Well I bought a mirror. To ft in the bar end and help me see what's going on. Especially when turning right.

It looked neat and tucked away when not in use
I should have wondered how they did the optics to be useful in a small 2cm dia mirror.
Simple, they don't. Total rubbish. That's £4 I won't get to spend again.

Back to mirror on stick Velcro'd to helmet.

Jameshow

Veteran
IMG-20220830-WA0019.jpeg
not new to me but new to this bike....

Replaced a wtb saddle with a turbo saddle.
Not as comfortable as my older vintage ones but hopefully it will improve.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
4700 tiagra RD from wiggle for £9, 8 speed cassette £10 and some energy bars to bring it over £20 for free p and p
checked my commuter and the chain was over 100 % even though its only been on less than 6 months , cheap chain so i have a new one in stock but i know the cassettes had 2 chains on it so im not chancing a new chain without a cassette just in case

Jenkins

Legendary Member
To go with the Mavic Aksiums I picked up a couple of weeks ago, I took delivery of another pair of spare wheels this week. This time a pair of Mavic Cosmic Elites from Wiggle for less than £160 in their sale - my reasoning being that my Campag Zondas can't go on forever and these will be the 'best bike' spares. rather than the Aksiums which will end up on either the main commuter or the PlanetX.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Five years ago I bought this; a Specialized Hotrock for 99p which was missing some parts and a wheel.

It was then converted into a single speed 24" with extended 400mm seatpost for fun. I've realised I didn't upload a final 'finished' photo, so one with son no. 2 aged 13 on recycling bin duty is below:

Specialized_Hotrock.jpg

Built for fun it was used a lot on the three-week holiday in France we had. And not just by us; we'd find his helmet on someone else's bike and they'd be borrowing it. Think 'big kid's BMX' and you've got the idea: Children, adults, the holiday park staff ... basically everyone borrowed it.

We sold the Hotrock at the end of the holiday to a family with four children for €40 and that was it. Son no. 2 has complained that we sold one of his favourite bikes. But it was gone ...

That was until on holiday this year the same family were there. So we asked "did you sell the bike you bought from us? And if not, could we buy it back?" They'd apparently tried to sell it, but the Hotrock was now a bit damaged :sad: - the chain tensioner was bent and some other bits weren't straight. I'm guessing one of their four children had bent it a bit, with the Hotrock then sat since that point unloved and unused.

Fast forward three weeks and it's back with us 😊 . Kindly donated :becool: . It needs:

- A clean - now mostly done but they had looked after it
- Headset adjusted, bars straightened, brake lever straightened - all done
- New single speed chain tensioner as this was broken and/or the derailleur hanger - we've got an orange one spare and will be fitted this week if a new hanger doesn't work (hanger bought already)
- Replacement rear brake cable, pipe and noodle - to be done this week
- Rear wheel trued, plus we'll probably put a spare tyre on - to be done this week
- Some paint chips / scratches touched-up - that'll be done this week / before son no. 2 goes to university

I'll get a final photo (this time! :blush: ) once it's all done. And it'll be floating around the University of Nottingham to be used alongside the orange Carlton Corsa fixie he has.

Last edited:

Falsesummat

A 4iiii shimano 105 left hand powercrank. A bit of an indulge but interested to see what power I'm producing over different routes, some routes have short steep hills and twisty descents where speed is scrubbed off. It wont make me faster but i like the data. My winter / tourer and mtb record nothing except joy. Relatively inexpensive at £200 including delivery

Top Bottom