During the war

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They bombed 2 of my local chippys.
Are you Stan Boardman by any chance?šŸ§

Cerdic

Vichy France (Southern France) is the common name of the French State headed by Marshal Philippe PĆ©tain during World War II. It was an independent ally of Nazi Germany.

Which led to the strange situation of Free French troops fighting Vichy French in the Middle East...

Rocky

Hello decadence
Wouldn't you agree that the 'fascists' are equally as guilty of fascism by banning different opinions or demanding those with different opinions are banned?šŸ¤”
It depends on what those opinions are.....if itā€™s to murder everyone in Accrington as they sleep in their beds, itā€™s probably legit to ban them and stop their machinations - wouldnā€™t you agree?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
As they were actually photographed by Falklanders does it matter which paper it comes from? Maybe you don't want to see what the point was.
I think I do see what your point was now, but I disagree with it, and yes, it matters what paper it comes from. I'll engage with you and try to illustrate why it's important below.
Just to be up front: I've lived on the Falkland Islands twice, I served as both a Police Constable and as a Customs Officer in Stanley, while I know that doesn't make me an expert commentator on the politics of the islands I do at least know the islands, and feel I have at least a basic understanding of how the Islanders feel.

The pictures in the Sun link were largely NOT taken by Islanders, (there are one, maybe two exceptions). They show (1) a couple of shots of men at the *Argentine* graveyard acting in a somewhat patriotic / jingoistic manner (depending on your view). These could not have been taken by an Islander. (2) An organised group of (probably) Argentinians, but possibly mixed nationalities, posing next to one of the British memorials. Likely taken by a local tour guide. (3) A fairly meek but arguably more provocative act where one of the men displayed his political message in town by the central quay, the only picture that looks to have been taken by an Islander.
None of it strikes me as a state sponsored act of political point scoring, which I believe is what you believe is going on there and what Argentina intended by burying their dead at San Carlos. If it was, it's a very, very poor attempt by Buenos Aires. A solitary bloke with a little flag? I believe that the internet cool guys call that a "fail".

(1) Has always happened, both on the Islands and at many other grave sites around the world. You can't legislate for a bit of individual jingoism... see the comments under the Sun article for proof that the Argentines don't have that monopoly. And according to the Sun he's in "combat gear"? By their definition, anyone walking around UK streets wearing some urban camo cargo pants would be in "combat gear", but no, it's only when it suits the Sun's need for a sensational headline.
(2) Has always happened; Indeed British service people regularly take photos (including group shots of themselves and colleagues) at the Argentine graveyard. It's not disrespectful to have your group photo taken with a memorial to the fallen of another nation. It's simply battlefield tourism, and a part of life on the islands, it's no different to visiting battlefield memorials in any country. They weren't peeing on the thing or doing anything disrespectful.
(3) See my point 1, it's one jingoistic guy making a point. It would offend some Islanders, but it's one guy.

The Sun article is pure rabble rousing and appealing only to the Jim Davidson peanut gallery. Let's be clear, Buenos Aires has no respect for the islanders right to self determination, and feelings toward Argentina remain (at best) cool among the islanders, not least because Buenos Aires still continues to claim sovereignty. But the burial of the Argentine dead where they fell doesn't appear to have led to a 30 year propaganda war based on the graves, and I don't believe that a p*ss poor piece of journalism by the Sun helps prove what (I believe) was your point.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Corporal Mee reporting for duty.Communications running between the trenches wiv important documents.They could blow off me arms I would kick they could blow off me legs I would bite.Yes I would do my bit.

postman

Legendary Member
Weren't the French basically neutral in the war?
No they declared very early on.So their nice old buidings would not get flattened by the Nazis.

GetFatty

Ɯber Member
You wouldn't get called up.
By the time the Civil Sevants had got their act together the Germans would be all over us.
Recent events show just how badly managed this country is when it comes to dealing with a crisis.
Just out of interest which response to the current crisis would you have changed and to what?

GetFatty

Ɯber Member
Back to the original question, it all depends on what rank I was called up at. As a civil servant my grade is counted as quite away above Captain. :smile:

Top Bottom