During the war

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why are you all so scared of the Germans? We've been friends for a very long time. Surely it's time you moved on from 1940.

There's far more scary people in this world, people who really don't have our interests at hart. Many of whom live amongst us.
I gave you a like for the second part not the first.
They bombed 2 of my local chippys. In the future they won't bomb us they will strip the sea of cod so we will not be able to have fish, chip, mushy peas and gravy on Friday night. They will also spread rumours in France. Aimed at getting french fishermen, farmers, bakers etc to blockade the ports. forcing us to eat sauerkraut. You just can't trust them.
PS 1940-1945

Weren't the French basically neutral in the war?

Free French Army, Foreign Legion, French Resistance, no not neutral.
Vichy France (Southern France) is the common name of the French State headed by Marshal Philippe Pétain during World War II. It was an independent ally of Nazi Germany.

SWSteve

Guru
I go into my local cemetery quite a few times a week. I see many war graves,some 1st World War,some 2nd World War. You'd be surprised how many over 35's were killed in WW1. Some were even in their 40's. People think of young men even boys being enlisted or volunteering during that conflict,but i only see the odd teenager's grave.
Maybe they thought Britain was worth saving in those days. I wouldn't say our current degenerate society is worth fighting for!

When in Sri Lanka, one of the places we visited was a commonwealth war grave. One of the young men who was killed was in his early twenties, and had the same birthday as my younger brother (day and month). That was probably the point when young men getting sent around the world to get killed by people in armchairs became a lot less of a story, and really hit home about who these people were, and are still.

if it were to happen, I’m of an age where I could be called up, but I haven’t a clue if my job would allow me to escape it.

SWSteve

Guru
When in Sri Lanka, one of the places we visited was a commonwealth war grave. One of the young men who was killed was in his early twenties, and had the same birthday as my younger brother (day and month). That was probably the point when young men getting sent around the world to get killed by people in armchairs became a lot less of a story, and really hit home about who these people were, and are still.

if it were to happen, I’m of an age where I could be called up, but I haven’t a clue if my job would allow me to escape it.

Turns out my job doesn’t get me out of it. I would offer to be a runner or something, but I doubt they would need that.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I gave you a like for the second part not the first.
They bombed 2 of my local chippys. In the future they won't bomb us they will strip the sea of cod so we will not be able to have fish, chip, mushy peas and gravy on Friday night. They will also spread rumours in France. Aimed at getting french fishermen, farmers, bakers etc to blockade the ports. forcing us to eat sauerkraut. You just can't trust them.
PS 1940-1945

If it only lasts five minutes I'll go to the chippy earlier instead.

Turns out my job doesn’t get me out of it. I would offer to be a runner or something, but I doubt they would need that.
I think they have invented the radio! Also don't think that was essentially a low risk job in the 1st World War. Although supposedly you got to sleep in the rear....well at least Hitler did!

classic33

Leg End Member
They buried them there for political reasons and no other.
An example
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/90202...-and-memorials-dedicated-to-british-soldiers/
Link doesn't match up with your edited post.

I had a thought that for limitted use such as beach assault, a microtank that can fit in an infantry landing craft would be a wizzard idea. It would have to be crewed by midgets, recruited from the circus.

I rather liked the big panjandrum idea myself - but I don't think that ever got used...

Can imagine the Germans in the defensive bunkers looking out and saying "Gott im Himmel, was unter die Sonne *ist* das?!?!?!" :laugh:

Top Bottom