Dustman Dave's Doddles/Demon Hilly 17th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
As there are a few Devon, Dorset, Somerset and Avon riders coming out of the woodwork thought Dustman Dave's rides on the 17th April might be of interest, apparently they're well organised and take in some good cake stops.
Am quite tempted by the 64k Diddy Doddle, 'cos you can buy a pink badge when you finish :biggrin:

There's also the 114k Doddle and 216k Double Doddle and the Demon Hilly, which looks...well, HILLY.

At the moment I've got the Double Doddle pencilled in.

I was down visiting friends a couple of years back so took the opportunity to do the diddy doddle, really good ride. Mrs Bearing had never been to the west country cycling before and as I used to be almost a local, well nearer Bristol really, I new she'd enjoy it to.
Go on....it'll be a doddle!

johnnyh

Veteran
I've done the Diddy and the Doddle over the last couple of years, good rides and well recommended.

Can't do it this year, but reckon the Double Doddle next year!

vorsprung

Veteran
Last time there was nice weather and I did the first half of the Double Doodle, to the Canal Tearooms in Tiverton with the lead group. They were a couple of nice boys with matching kit on matching carbon bikes. We followed the proper route and were surprised to see raddled old CTC types who'd taken a shortcut ahead of us when the route came off the good road onto the lanes

Then I stopped for an hour for multiple coffees and rode with the back part of the field. This included a local to Bishops Lydeard so I used the old CTC types shortcut on the way back

It was summerish, hot, dusty.

It was funny when we caught the 100km people as they had started an hour after us and done most of their loop and were returning to the HQ whereas we were just starting the east bound 100km loop at that point.

Dunno if I'll do it this year

Glover Fan

Still undecided whether i'm going to partake in this event, how many people usually take part? Will probably do the 112km doddle if I do. Dunno, already doing the Merry Monk and I don't want to ruin the fun by doing more than 1 a month. Will see.

OP
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Nice weather would be a bonus, but it sounds as if it's a good ride - I couldn't find very much in the way of write ups or info online.

Am visiting the physio on Monday as after a good start to the year, one of my knees is being naughty :cry: Will make a decision whether to enter the 112k or 216k then.

Still undecided whether i'm going to partake in this event, how many people usually take part? Will probably do the 112km doddle if I do. Dunno, already doing the Merry Monk and I don't want to ruin the fun by doing more than 1 a month. Will see.
The AUK records show about 50 riders for the Doddle last year (and 5 for the Demon Hilly!) but it doesn't seem to list non-AUK members, so maybe a few more.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
...The AUK records show about 50 riders for the Doddle last year (and 5 for the Demon Hilly!) but it doesn't seem to list non-AUK members, so maybe a few more.

The organiser is one of AUK's characters, and a lovely chap. Unfortunately, until he learns how to do the event returns online, non-members won't appear in the lists.

I recommend the events, though.

Erudin

Veteran
I'll be having a go at the Double Doodle, will be my first 200k, routesheet arrived in the post today.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I popped in to the finish on my way home from Wales. The hall was deserted apart from Dave and his wife, so I blagged a coffee and we had a chat. It looks like the weather might be too good for the Hilly. Hope you all finish without sunburn or heatstroke.

Top Bottom