Dutch Reach - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Just been looking at the Cycling UK video in support of safer cycling. One 'request' it makes is to introduce the 'Dutch Reach' into the Highway Code which apparently requires all drivers to look over their shoulder before opening their car door.
Now, I was always under the impression that this was the case anyway, so I checked my trusty Highway Code book and Rule 239 states '...you MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for cyclists & other traffic..'
Does this then not already cover the 'Dutch Reach' - ?

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member
Not completely. I believe the point of the Dutch Reach is that it forces you to look over your shoulder as you use your ‘opposite’ hand to open the door?

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
But when I was taught to drive in 1972, looking over one's shoulder before fully opening the car door was an integral part of my course. Am I missing something here - ?

vickster

Legendary Member
People forget/don’t bother/don’t care

I expect the learning and test process has changed in the last 45 years. As have road conditions :smile:

C R

Guru
I don't understand this thing of people not looking when they open the door, isn't it in their own interest to look? It won't be much fun if they door another car, let alone a bus or a lorry.

C R

Guru
human action is not necessarily informed by logic
Oh, I don't dispute that. What I don't understand is how we got to this state of affairs. Growing up our parents drilled into us that you always look before opening the car door, otherwise a mighty big lorry may end up turning you into a burger, and I know that my friends parents were doing the same.

vickster

Legendary Member
How old are you?

C R

Guru
I am 45, but I can't see the relevance, it is simply self preservation, we teach our children the same.

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
But when I was taught to drive in 1972, looking over one's shoulder before fully opening the car door was an integral part of my course. Am I missing something here - ?

Er, yes.

The rationale behind promoting the Dutch Reach is to help those drivers who have either not been taught what you were, or who have forgotten it, by persuading them to open the door in such a way as to increase the chances of them seeing a cyclist who would be in danger of being doored.

Drago

Legendary Member
Dutch reach is a pile of poop. It is neither especially widely used in Holland, or particularly efficient and compelling one to look behind. The case for the prosecution is vastly overstated.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Dutch reach is a pile of poop. It is neither especially widely used in Holland, or particularly efficient and compelling one to look behind. The case for the prosecution is vastly overstated.
Maybe not widely-used, but it seems widely taught and I believe it's part of their driving standards. See Step 3 in this instruction video, for example:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHUh8NCbv_k

Of course, we all know from experience that some drivers stop behaving correctly once they get a licence!

I'm more in favour of bigger fines and more points for drivers who open their doors without looking with whatever hand, although we'll probably need more "operation close pass"-style unmarked police cycling operations to catch them.

C R

Guru
I think to some extent framing this issue as a problem for the safety of cyclists misses the point a bit. People opening car doors without looking is a road safety issue, of the same level as not using the mirror, it is dangerous for pedestrians and traffic going past the car, and it is dangerous for the person doing it.

When I check that it is safe to open a car door to exit, I do it as much for my own safety as for the safety of others, I think that is the angle that we should take regarding this issue. Whether we do the checking Dutch style or not is just a distraction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom