Dutch Reach - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It would seem that it isn't particularly widely taught, is not part of their driver training syllabus, or part of their driving test.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dooring

It's nothing to do with Holland at all.
So the whole thing's a load of bobbins. Brilliant. Did nobody bother fact checking this with the Dutch?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It would seem that it isn't particularly widely taught, is not part of their driver training syllabus, or part of their driving test.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dooring

It's nothing to do with Holland at all.
Have you been editing Wikipedia again? ;)

Isn't the claim on Wikipedia that it's not taught in the Netherlands rather contradicted by videos like the one you didn't quote from my post?

In general, I still think it depends on the car and height of the driver.

It is taught in Dutch driving lessons but also in Belgium, here in the uk and many other countries. Never heard this as a typical dutch term. The whole shoulder idea means that you look in your mirror first and look over your shoulder to prevent hitting anyone while opening your door while he is in your blind corner. so it is vehicle dependent, in a Sprinter is more important then in a Smart

Reactions: C R

GuyBoden

Guru
Rule 239
  • you MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for cyclists or other traffic

the-highway-code-rule-239.jpg

Rule 239: Check before opening your door

Can't find the "Dutch Reach" in the online Highway Code version, yet.

Johnno260

Veteran
Funny thing is a Dutch person almost took out my 5yr old while on holiday in France, she opened the door without checking how my child swerved to avoid the door I don’t know, I was pretty impressed.

The Dutch women mouthed off I just pointed at my eyes and said look.

My daughter went to say sorry still but she wasn’t in the wrong.

Top Bottom