Dutch Reach - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have a little invention called a side mirror on my car, looks a bit daft, adds to drag, but rather good for spotting things when exiting my car/van/thingy. And my Gramdma was Dutch. But she didn't have much to do with cars.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I tried the Dutch reach and all I got was a face full of door pillar, couldn't see out of the car at all. I'll stick to the tried and tested looking in the mirror. It's just automatic for me anyway.

If it's at all relevent, I learned to drive in the noughties, in my early thirties.

Reactions: C R

Pete Owens

Oh not the Dutch Reach again!

Before anyone starts to perpetuate this nonsense again please please borrow a car and try it. Sit in the drivers seat, reach the door handle squash your face right against the window and enjoy a perfectly clear view of your door pillar. While it might help avoid opening the door directly into stationary objects next to you, it is not possible from inside the car to see an approaching door-zone cyclist - for this you need to look in the mirror - and that should be adjusted to give the best view from a normal seated position.

And of course the solution to getting doored is in our own hands - don't ride in the door-zone.

Drago

Legendary Member
Practicing this this morning taking Mini D to her swimming lesson, and using my left hand to open the drivers door required simply placing my left arm in front of my tummy and grabbing the handle - no twisting whatsoever involved. It's a crock.

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
True, true. Sliding or suicide doors might well benefit, but front hinged outward opening ones can be opened very comfortably as I aforementioned.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
True, true. Sliding or suicide doors might well benefit, but front hinged outward opening ones can be opened very comfortably as I aforementioned.
Depends where the pillar is, where the handle is and if you're tall and beautiful so tend to have longer arms. Dutch people are short... no, wait! :wacko:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm sat in the car trying it now, and at best it angles my head slightly towards the off side door mirror, which is where I'm looking when I open the door anyway. There's no way it forces me to look over my shoulder and if it did, all I can see is the door pillar, the edge of my glasses, a tiny bit out of the rear off side door window and then the rear pillar. I can see the neck restraint behind me if I really crane my neck.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just back from walking the mutt. Mrs D's car, a current model Kia Sportage, is a bit bigger than the Pension Book Special. I leaped in, and sure enough can reach the door handle by placing my left arm across my stomach. No rotating right whatsoever, and if anything leaning forward fractionally.

I can't see the Dutch Death Grip being of use to anyone taller than Jimmy Krankie.

Top Bottom