Dutch roundabouts......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And ...? :whistle:

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
i'm still slightly miffed by these, i foresee drivers running the give ways and others slamming into each other to be able to stop in time so they don't flatten a cyclist.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I thought that the Dutch model worked on the basis that motorists were expected to give way to other vulnerable road users.
Don't we need a change to the HC first ?

Edit - maybe it should be trialled in Scotland first ?

Boyfrom64

Veteran
I consider myself to be lucky in that I do not have to ride in any major city or town however, my feeling is that anything that can be done to reduce accidents and the deaths of any cyclist should be welcomed.

snorri

Legendary Member
It will be interesting to see how these designs fare in the UK, I have heard it said that roundabouts are constructed for quite different reasons in each country. In the Netherlands roundabouts in urban areas are used as a traffic calming device whereas in the UK they are used to increase traffic flow through junctions.
Can anyone confirm?

GrasB

Veteran
I thought that the Dutch model worked on the basis that motorists were expected to give way to other vulnerable road users.
This is my concern... A lot of drivers can't manage to give way when they are supposed to, this system is based on the fact that drivers will give way. This also has the potential to make things worse not better.

Why only london tho? The rest of Britain is found outside london. Even if the trials succeed then I will be dead before I could benefit from one. Seems a great idea to seperate cars from cyclists. I have often been nearly taken out by idiot drivers on roundabouts.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
What's the betting that if these RBs go live, there'll be a stop line on the cycle path at every intersection? And on big RBs there'll be lights as well, permanently set to red for the cyclist until they press the button and wait (like that one on Cable Street Pseudocyclehighway*).

*The one set of lights I will deliberately cross on red because being a cyclist does not mean accepting being treated with utter contempt.

Top Bottom