Dutch style bike recommendations - but lightweight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
Picked up a very nice Raleigh Caprice for my daughter a few weeks back. Great bike, loop frame, basket mount, she loves it. White with yellow flowers all over. 16kg.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hilldodger said:
And I hate seeing fashion victims wearing bright lycra wobbling about on overpriced road bikes thinking they're Lance Armstong.:smile:

+1

Rodies are such snobs, sad really...

yoyo

I have a Batavus Alamo which is a tourer with 24 gears and all the usual accessories (chain guard, skirt guard, pump, lights) that come as standard on Batavis bikes. I bought it at the Dutch Bike Shop at Littlehampton. It weighs 19 kilos.

Chrisc

Guru
yoyo said:
I have a Batavus Alamo which is a tourer with 24 gears and all the usual accessories (chain guard, skirt guard, pump, lights) that come as standard on Batavis bikes. I bought it at the Dutch Bike Shop at Littlehampton. It weighs 19 kilos.

Nice to finally meet another Batavus owner, and from the same shop.

Not a pure dutch style, but we've bought my daughter a specialized ariel. 'M' size (she's around 5'4" at moment but only 10 so still growing). She's never complained about the ride, we cycled the solar system near York at the weekend without any complaints. Looks very relaxed and good on it.
13.58kg from the link.

jimboalee

summerdays said:
I've seen a girl on a hand sprayed gold bike here in Bristol - they had even sprayed the wheels and chain:biggrin: (not that sucessfully).

It's gold for a reason......:ohmy:

Did you know the gold metalising on an astronaut's visor is 0.000006" thick?
Thin enough to see through, but thick enough to reflect harmful radiation and the Sun's heat....

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Go on ... put a piccy up then:biggrin: - I didn't get time to take one of the bike I saw, but it made me smile anyway.

gouldina

summerdays said:
Go on ... put a piccy up then:biggrin: - I didn't get time to take one of the bike I saw, but it made me smile anyway.

Well I would do but currently, I live in London and my wife lives in Cardiff so I can't. I lead a complicated life...
Next time I'm there I'll take a snap.

GrahamG

Guru
Just got back from 4 days in Amsterdam, including a days bike hire. Those Dutch bikes would be useless anywhere hilly and are pretty uncomfortable for anything over a few miles at a time... still very practical for the urban flatlands. Whilst there, I saw the coolest bike in Christendom...
http://www.vanmoof.com/index.php

Top tube not ideal for a lady though. I'm sure that some of the traditional manufacturers are starting to knock out alu framed 'light weight' dutch bikes.

It's the frame that tends to weigh the most - more metal needed for no top tube and then they build them to withstand a nuclear holocaust.

yoyo

My Dutch bike takes me up any hills I cycle on in very lumpy Berkshire...

Chris - what is your bike?

Top Bottom