Dutch style bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
amasidlover
A day-trip to york might be in order at some time - from a purely practical perspective the Gazelle Chamonix Pure looks like the best bet for my needs. However I'm still very drawn to the Vanmoof and the Pashley.

I do like the idea of the Nuvinci hub, but can't find any UK dealers and that would make me very nervous about servicing/repairs - particularly after some of the experiences on this forum with the more uncommon hub gears taking many weeks to be repaired. Since the long term plan is to get rid of the car I'd need minimal down time.

Yellow Fang said:
At the moment their roadsters remind me of BMW minis...

My wife has one and its a rather nice car :wacko:

I've now seen the wheel (horseshoe locks) so it looks like I could fit that to most of the options. Of course they don't stop someone just carrying off the bike which is a plus point for the Pashley as I suspect it would be a challenge to out run me carrying 20+ kilos of Pashley!

I've also discovered that most child seats attach to the down tube - I had assumed that they were rack mounted, so that widens the options too... Although I'm now tempted by a trailer instead. Decisions, Decisions...

Davidc

Guru
I've ridden a variety of Dutch bikes, hired when in The Netherlands, or borrowed from friends there.

None have been for riding very fast, but they work well, are comfortable, well equipped, and seem well built as well. As with any non UK/Eire bike it's a bit odd having the brakes the wrong way round, that apart you just get on and they go.

The enclosed chains mean you can wear any clothing you like, the hub gears have always worked OK for me but have never had enough range. Might be a problem over here because we have hills.

Try them and see.

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
Yellow Fang said:
I like Pashley and would like to get one of their bikes one day, them being one of very few companies still manufacturing in the UK, but there's always something about their bicycles I don't like. Regarding their roadsters, I don't really like the mix of archaic Olde Worlde looks and modern anachronistic components like the drum brakes.

In fairness though, they are by no means the only manufacturer doing this - Azor & Velorbis come to mind. Personally, I think they need to go a bit further with what they have and say, upgrade the Roadsters with a 7 or 8 speed hub, or offer it as an option at least, like Velorbis. Wouldn't mind seeing them introduce more bikes with a bit more design flair - it's interesting how Velorbis, a relative new kid on the block seems to have cornered quite a bit of the Danish market, with civil servants being issued them as part of the job.

Just shows, no matter how saturated the market, if it's good, it'll sell.

U

User169

Vikeonabike said:
A modern dutch bike....I give you VANMOOF, built in lock, integral LED lights....saw one in Amsterdam last month...lovely

vanmoof-no5.jpg

Saw one of these parked outside the office today - very nice looking - I'm really tempted to get one.

I reckon the incoporated lock might be good at discouraging thieves - it might be difficult to sell them on if you have to bust the lock to nick it.

amasidlover said:
I've now seen the wheel (horseshoe locks) so it looks like I could fit that to most of the options. Of course they don't stop someone just carrying off the bike which is a plus point for the Pashley as I suspect it would be a challenge to out run me carrying 20+ kilos of Pashley!

I've also discovered that most child seats attach to the down tube - I had assumed that they were rack mounted, so that widens the options too... Although I'm now tempted by a trailer instead. Decisions, Decisions...

AXA-Basta make some that have the option of a chain that fits into it somehow so you can lock both rear wheel and chain it up. here

For the child carrying try 'moederfiets' or 'mother bike'. The dutch seem to have got the hang of this utility cycling thing :biggrin:

Top Bottom