Dynahub or not for tourer?

Should I get a dynamo hub for my tourer?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, stick with battery power

• Lights, who needs lights? (seems to be favoured by far too many in Oxford)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Was considering getting a Scmidt hub dynamo fitted to the Cheviot SE I'm getting fitted for next weekend. Will be using the bike for commuting as well as touring, but I'm wondering whether its really a good idea or not, as much of the time when touring I'll only be cycling in the day, and the extra drag, weight and of course money (getting on for £250 when you add the light in) may not be worth it.

The other alternative I was considering was to get a rechargable NiteRider MiNewt for commuting, and when touring just take a decent AA-powered light (as doesn't require recharging, which isn't always possible when camping), which could double as a camping torch.

What do people think?

andym

Über Member
The DiNotte 200L is a lightweight, powerful AA-powered light. Good as an emergency light. Not cheap though.

I had an Ultegra dynamo hub, with a B&M lumotec 6 halogen lamp.
Was brilliant, the best thing money could buy, but when Tesco started selling 3w led torches for £8, I sold mine.
They're great if you want to make sure you always have lights, but the Tesco LED is pretty good, and for the price difference I'm happy to carry rechargeable batteries, sadly.

willem

Über Member
For commuting, nothing beats a generator hub, and the SON is simply the best. I also have one on my touring bike, since you end up riding in the dark (or pouring rain) more often than you think. It is just an ultra reliable and (with an edelux) super bright lighting system. For a touring bike, however, I think a sidewall generator such as the cheap Dymotec and a round Lumotec is perfectly fine, but for commuting I don't really think it is. Resistance of the SON is really not an issue, and certainly not when your lights are off. With led lights you could even reduce it again by using the SON20.
Willem

snorri

Legendary Member
My present tourer has had a totally maintenance free and effective lighting sytem for the last ten years thanks to a bottle dynamo. Of course there is a drag when the lights are on, but they are seldom used so the inconvenience is negligible.

drag from a dyno hub is barely noticable.couple it with a b and m led (iq fly or cyo) front light and you've all the light you need whenever you need it.

lazyfatgit

I've got a B&M bottle dynamo + basic lumotec halogen on my tourer (dawes horizon) as i only have one bike for everything. if i was having a custom build, i'd get a hub dynamo.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Mark Beaumont used a SON Dynamo Hub when he went on his wee cycle ride. The NiteRider MiNewt has a slight issue with the screw that holds the O-ring mount to the light head which has a tendency to loosen up, but a drop of loc-tight should help.

I would also second the DiNotte 200L AA version, its big brother the 400l comes with a head band which is useful if you are camping.

asterix

Comrade Member
Just for touring? Not in my case as I don't tour much after dark.

For commuting? A different story as commuting is all too often done in the dark and then the high cost of a good dynamo set up is worth paying.

GrahamG

Guru
It's 50/50 for touring only, but for commuting it's just a godsend and totally fit & forget. Also, with a locking skewer (like pitlock) and a lamp that is bolted on, it's something that can just stay on the bike without too much risk of theft. I swear by it even though my commute is now only 3 miles each way.

P.H

Über Member
If you treat your bike as leisure equipment I wouldn't bother. If you're going to treat it as practical transport, I wouldn't consider not having permanent, fitted, always ready lights. And a hub dynamo is the best method of achieving that. Can you imagine lights being an optional extra on a car?

I carry two cateye El530 as front lights on tour - debating Son plus solidlights - touring and move it to commuter for rest of year - how do the solidlights stack up against alternatives?

Top Bottom