"Dynamic Pricing"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
£2.05

classic33

Leg End Member
If that's not the adverised price, then £1.85(as advertised).

Shelf prices would have to be adjusted, or they end up with something at the till that can't be sold. The dynamic pricing will only be done at the till. Advertise a product at one price, then try charging higher when trying to take payment.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If I pick up a sandwich, marked at £1.85p and put it in my basket at 11:59, but get to the till at 12:01, and the price has increased to £2.05p - how much to I get charged ?

Indeed..and why i think its best done out of trading times..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Not true the shelf price must match the till price or it's illegal trading. The point of lcd labels is that prices at till matches price at shelf. So it enables compliance where mismatched prices because a paper label hadn't been change has and continues to lead to large fines. Prices aren't controlled at a till as the till is not the master of the prices merely a recipient of the updates.

Levo-Lon

Guru
@screenman
It's a bit like motorpoint saying drive away today for £12995..
Then it needs a 100 quid pdi and high pressure insurance sales push..
And they often want a delivery charge..

Customers are for fleecing as they say..

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's interesting the media's slant on it (I saw the other thread). The big supermarkets are cutting a lot of hours and one of the target areas is the area described, the people who walk around changing tickets. It is very labour intensive as a task changing or checking up to 25,000 prices, even if you are a smaller supermarket with 8,000 prices or mini one with 4,000 prices. Where I used to work they have also like other retailers been cutting down on the people who walk around doing the price changes and given the major price changes to the night shift in a gigantic cost cutting exercise. You can see where's it's going.

It's not all bad, an up to 15 hour long bender of a night shift for those involved every 2-3 weeks was not fun. If that can be done by electronic labels and fewer 6am shifts that's also good.

Waste on fresh departments or sandwiches can be very significant if you have a manager that doesn't know what they are doing. Reductions are very labour intensive too and in the age of everyone being a part time worker and severe hours cuts dynamic pricing on sandwiches makes sense to the companies too.

screenman

Legendary Member
@screenman
It's a bit like motorpoint saying drive away today for £12995..
Then it needs a 100 quid pdi and high pressure insurance sales push..
And they often want a delivery charge..

Customers are for fleecing as they say..

But you know what you are going to get when you go in, to be fair there is some cheap cars on offer there at times.

marinyork

But you know what you are going to get when you go in, to be fair there is some cheap cars on offer there at times.

With the sandwich type scenario on profitability a lot of chains have parred back significantly on the loss making/break even meal deals. They still exist, but a lot smaller. I've heard of other stuff across the pond where loss making aspects of the operation have been zapped or looked at.

OP
OP
U

ufkacbln

If that's not the adverised price, then £1.85(as advertised).

Shelf prices would have to be adjusted, or they end up with something at the till that can't be sold. The dynamic pricing will only be done at the till. Advertise a product at one price, then try charging higher when trying to take payment.

This was the point of the new labels, they are "live"

When the price in changed at 11:59, both the till and the shelf price will change, so without a label on the item it is perfectly feasible to change the price between picking up the item and buying it

marinyork

The 'new' labels work very well for some things, but not so much for other things like produce where there are some difficulties (although also additional advantages such as changing the country of origin means lots of changes to labels on those products).

vickster

Legendary Member
This was the point of the new labels, they are "live"

When the price in changed at 11:59, both the till and the shelf price will change, so without a label on the item it is perfectly feasible to change the price between picking up the item and buying it
Indeed that's the new system they were discussing on the Beeb

OP
OP
U

ufkacbln

The concept is for a small "e-reader" type shelf tag:

img6-2x.jpg

They update in the same ways your Kindle does, displaying the new information

... and with regards to the product, there are already price tags using the technology:

esl-electronic-shelf-label.jpg

One small "flaw" is who recharges all of these?

Although it is likely that power use is small, so will the battery be, so who recharges these labels?

Top Bottom