"Dynamic Pricing"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Article on BBC about "smart price labels"

Basically "e reader" style labels that can be changed by the till computer, so that the price is easier to change

One possibility is that management of stock is easier and also control of sales peaks

M&S tried lowering sandwich prices at 11:30 and raising them over lunch, then lowering them again. It would appear that by doing so they reduced the lunch hour rush

However is it fair to charge different prices for the same product according to when you buy it, or is it just another way to part customers from cash?

Drago

Legendary Member
Just another way to maximise profit. That's their raison d'etre as a business.

Levo-Lon

Guru
What and Why?

Well it could be anything..
Examples ...ice cream, its suddenly gets sunny and warm price suddenly goes up 50p
Sandwiches could be £1.85 at 11.30 and £195 at 12.01

It will save time but i think it should be done when the shop isn't trading.

Drago

Legendary Member
Because its done to maximise profit, and that's never good for the consumer. They dont adopt such practices for altruistic reasons.
And because its the UK, and that's what companies do.

stephec

Legendary Member

classic33

Leg End Member
Article on BBC about "smart price labels"

Basically "e reader" style labels that can be changed by the till computer, so that the price is easier to change

One possibility is that management of stock is easier and also control of sales peaks

M&S tried lowering sandwich prices at 11:30 and raising them over lunch, then lowering them again. It would appear that by doing so they reduced the lunch hour rush

However is it fair to charge different prices for the same product according to when you buy it, or is it just another way to part customers from cash?
M&S seem to be trying a few ideas of late. Most will increase the cost of some things.

New & dynamic board member, with interests elsewhere as well?

Freds Dad

Veteran
Well it could be anything..
Examples ...ice cream, its suddenly gets sunny and warm price suddenly goes up 50p
Sandwiches could be £1.85 at 11.30 and £195 at 12.01

It will save time but i think it should be done when the shop isn't trading.

That's a huge increase.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
If I pick up a sandwich, marked at £1.85p and put it in my basket at 11:59, but get to the till at 12:01, and the price has increased to £2.05p - how much to I get charged ?

Top Bottom