Peak Time Pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Apparently there's a plan to bring in a system whereby supermarkets can change the prices of products throughout the day according to demand - ie sandwiches get more expensive at lunchtime. Is this fair enough and about managing customer flows in the same way as train companies do or is it just another rip-off?

This already happens on the continent - anybody on here experienced it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-prices-within-five-years-supermarkets-adopt/

Levo-Lon

Guru
Off to York off peak with a rail card sunday . £68. About 40 quid saving for 2 travelling togeather.

Monday peake no card £133

Brains

Legendary Member
Surge pricing has been in the transportation business since the Roman era.
It has also been in the food business for probably longer.

What will become more interesting is if it comes into the energy industry at the consumer level. So watching TV at 4am would be almost free, but 8pm will cost a lot more

byegad

Legendary Member
The enthusiasm for smart energy meters is there at the moment so that, once we are all on them, it will cost you more to heat the house, watch TV or do anything else at 'peak times'. Which is why I won't have one until they actually force one on me.
Peak pricing goods you can buy throughout the day seems yet another step to far to me!

PK99

Legendary Member
What will become more interesting is if it comes into the energy industry at the consumer level. So watching TV at 4am would be almost free, but 8pm will cost a lot more

Already here - we are dual fuel with BG and have free electricity on Sunday so don't use the dishwasher on Saturday evening and do several loads of washing, incl bedding, on Sunday.

Top Bottom