Peak Time Pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Question about them ,
If your the average 2 adult , few kids and your heating is on all the time in winter because someone is in etc etc how is a smart meter going to save you money ? dont you pay extra for the service so in the long run your not saving ?
FIL just had one and they are retired and always someone in .
You can run the dishwasher and washing machine at cheap times, is the first thing that comes to mind. Ditto the heated airer

mustang1

Legendary Member
So what happened to off hours work? Any out of hours work I do, I don't get extra for it. Seems to be a one way street going on here.

How about surge taxation? If he govt goes to war for example and we don't agree, we pay lower tax the following year. I can many people opting for this but it sure will screw things up quickly. :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
So what happened to off hours work? Any out of hours work I do, I don't get extra for it. Seems to be a one way street going on here.

How about surge taxation? If he govt goes to war for example and we don't agree, we pay lower tax the following year. I can many people opting for this but it sure will screw things up quickly. :smile:

But you choice that job, choice comes up again.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I dont get cheap times afaik , same rate all the time .
Me neither (had no choice about the smart meter, it's a new-build house), I was thinking the question was about how to take advantage of peak-time pricing when it is offered.

As things stand, the smart meter is essentially a pointless gimmick given that it doesn't tell me which of my appliances is using all the electricity - and for things like the heated towel rail which is thermostatically controlled, even if I turn everything else in the house off I'm still only going to find the instantaneous power draw and not the average energy use over time

classic33

Leg End Member
Question about them ,
If your the average 2 adult , few kids and your heating is on all the time in winter because someone is in etc etc how is a smart meter going to save you money ? dont you pay extra for the service so in the long run your not saving ?
FIL just had one and they are retired and always someone in .
It’s not the meter itself that saves you money, it’s the information you’ll get from the In-Home Display (IHD) that comes with it.
By using a smart meter and In-Home Display to get control of what you’re using, it can be a great answer to the eternal question ‘how do I save money on my energy bill’.

Because it’ll show you exactly what you’re using and when, you can learn how to save energy – and potentially cut down your bills.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answe...-meters/will-a-smart-meter-save-me-money.html

Worth a read
http://www.smartme.co.uk/good-or-bad.html

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It’s not the meter itself that saves you money, it’s the information you’ll get from the In-Home Display (IHD) that comes with it.
By using a smart meter and In-Home Display to get control of what you’re using, it can be a great answer to the eternal question ‘how do I save money on my energy bill’.

Because it’ll show you exactly what you’re using and when, you can learn how to save energy – and potentially cut down your bills.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answe...-meters/will-a-smart-meter-save-me-money.html

Worth a read
http://www.smartme.co.uk/good-or-bad.html
No need to use bold though , when the wife has the tv on all day ( its her hobby ) , heating will be on all day , kids on tablets etc etc ....

classic33

Leg End Member
No need to use bold though , when the wife has the tv on all day ( its her hobby ) , heating will be on all day , kids on tablets etc etc ....
Straight copy and paste from the site, of the first line. No excuse for the part at the bottom though.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I get the time-based pricing notion for smart metering, but can't quite see what it gives the householder. If I turn stuff on it uses leci; turn stuff off and it uses less. About as useful as a smart-fire which informs me it is using more coal when I shovel coal on

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The French are getting up in arms about smart meters:

1321.jpg

"Evidence of the race to monetise the data from smart meters is already emerging. A video on the website of Onzo, a British analytics company, says: “We take energy consumption data from smart meters and sensors. We analyse it and build a highly personalised profile for each and every utility customer.” It will have “the ability to monetise their customer data by providing a direct link to appropriate third party organisations based on the customer’s identified character.” Last year Onzo was at a “consumer goods hackathon” hosted by Procter & Gamble to help sell more detergent, shampoo and toiletries."

Is your smart meter spying on you?

classic33

Leg End Member
The French are getting up in arms about smart meters:

View attachment 359213

"Evidence of the race to monetise the data from smart meters is already emerging. A video on the website of Onzo, a British analytics company, says: “We take energy consumption data from smart meters and sensors. We analyse it and build a highly personalised profile for each and every utility customer.” It will have “the ability to monetise their customer data by providing a direct link to appropriate third party organisations based on the customer’s identified character.” Last year Onzo was at a “consumer goods hackathon” hosted by Procter & Gamble to help sell more detergent, shampoo and toiletries."

Is your smart meter spying on you?
That last part answers the previous post. They're not going to benefit the homeowner, unless you happen to be renting it out.
http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/ for another view on them.

Myself, I think it's in league with the kettle and toaster.

Top Bottom