Dynamo cable routing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm currently in the process of building/modifying a winter bike which I will transfer my dynamo lighting set up onto, however I would like to tidy the cables up on the new build. I currently have the cable wrapped around the fork, but I'm wanting a neater looking set up. I thinking of using insulation tape, or something similar to run the cable up the inside of the fork 🤔 Anyone done similar? & if so does insulation tape work, or does it need replacing regularly?
Also the rear light cable currently is wrapped round rear brake cable running under top tube, any other neater options here, or am I best just doing the same again?
TIA

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I used heat shrink on my carbon fork. You can shrink it with a hair dryer.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've used black electric insulation tape to secure dynamo wired on the inside of fork leg, and also to position the wire to the rear light unobtrusively under the top tube. I find the ends tend to come unstuck from the frame, but a wrap around the frame tube or fork leg to secure the length works well and can look reasonably neat.

si_c

Guru
I have mudguard mounts halfway up the fork leg and use a rubber p clip type grommet thing which holds the cable at the mid point like tape would. I then run it between the mudguard and fork crown to hold in place.

I'd take a photo but they're off for summer.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
You could use Clear Helicopter tape wrapped around the fork.
I use zip-ties on mine.
The thinnest ones I could find.
I use a pair of nail clippers to cut the tag end off flush so it's not sharp.
Easy to fit and remove + No sticky residue.:angel:

si_c

Guru
You could use Clear Helicopter tape wrapped around the fork.

That was the first thing I tried, unfortunately after about a month it started to peel off as the wire doesn't let the tape go flush and water gets behind it. Helicopter tape to protect and then zip ties over the top is a better choice.

Top Bottom