Dynamo lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am I correct in saying that Dynamo lights are no longer legal on bikes? I seem to vaguely remember someone saying a long time ago that this was the case. I don't intend getting any but was just wondering. I could do with one of those flashing LED lights to put on the rear. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Brian :becool:

Perfectly legal.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Suggestions? Well, I don't think I've seen any legal lights that flash. They all seem to have a steady mode too, which means they should comply with the British Standard or the German Traffic Regulations or equivalent.

However, there's more chance of being struck by lightning than being fined for being legally unlit when using pretty much any flashing red tail light as long as it's not pulsing, strobing, morse-coding or other obvious illegallity - Norfolk police bicycles aren't legally lit either! Even the mycycle 5 LED light widely available in the pound shops will work fine as a town light.

Personally, I do have legal lights: dynamo with stand lights on the Dutch bike (Axa Pico 30 Steady front, Axa Riff Steady rear); Lidl 40 set on the road bike, plus various older setups which move between the other bikes and aren't on sale any more. All have red steady rears. I think flashing is harder to see and judge distance.

Not only are dynamo lights still legal, they are better than any other kind of light for everyday use. Modern LED lamps produce more than enough light when powered by 3watt dynamos and they focus and direct the light much more effectively than generic lamps. Modern dynamo hubs are totally reliable. Your lights are always available with no worries about battery management.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The only worry I would have with dynamo lights. And this goes back to what they were like in the 1960 as I've not used any since then. And the fear is, do modern dynamo lights have a back-up battery to keep them on when stopped at a junction?

OP
OP
meddyliol

meddyliol

Regular
The only worry I would have with dynamo lights. And this goes back to what they were like in the 1960 as I've not used any since then. And the fear is, do modern dynamo lights have a back-up battery to keep them on when stopped at a junction?

That was my concern, the law states (I think) that the bike must have a light on at ALL times, this didn't happen when I was riding in the 50's and 60's. If the modern ones have a back up battery I might have a look at those.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ones sold as "steady", "stand light" or"parking light" have a capacitor keeping them lit when stopped. My headlight stays on for 4 or so minutes and taillight for over 10. It takes about 250m to charge them up, so if there's a junction where I'm likely to need to stop within that distance of starting, I either walk back from it or push past it... but that's probably being over cautious. I don't much like being stopped mid junction at night even with lights on. I'm lucky that Lynn's cycle track layouts don't often require it.

Top Bottom