Dynamo question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Is there a dynamo with 4 connections. Or is there a way I can run lights and charge a power bank at the same time?

avsd

Guru
I think it is done by people who tour. See http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ewerk.php

A dynamo produces only 3W at best, so running lights and charging stuff simultaneously is not possible. Also, the voltage required for USB chargers and what the dynamo produces is not the same. 6V vs 5.2V I believe.
Converters are available and the one fits the electronics inside the fork steerer and the connection - a USB socket, sits in the stem cap. It is called The Plug. However, mine (I believe newer ones are now better) will not produce enough power to avoid the minimum charge cut-off built into some smart phones. Basically some phones will not trickle charge if the charge current runs below a certain level. Instead, they just ignore the charge. Some are more courteous and at least give you a message to that effect.
Even if your power bank does accept the charge, you'll have to ride all day to fill it.

Edit: my gadget is made by Supernova.

Last edited:
That

looks like the definitive word on the topic. I think the gadget's manual/instructions alone will be valuable.

yup - that is how i have just set mine up - B&M USB werk and Ixon IQ front light - piggy back connectors at the hub and shrouded to the fork crown with more shrink wrap than you can imagine - USB werk has cache battery to keep the output steady - no idea how much daytime lecky I will get but if the brightness of the light is anything to go by then enough to charge a camera battery

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I spoke to an expedition-type cyclist who had a solar panel about the size of an iPad on his rucksack.

He told me that in average daylight it provided enough power to keep his iPhone going, although I think he meant enough to make a few calls rather than full-on gps and every other app switched on.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would not use a bottle dynamo, it would have to be a hub dynamo. I have a solar panel charger but it would have been useless over the last few days. They do need considerable amounts of sun to work properly.

Psmiffy. If you get time, could you post some photos of your set up? which handlebar mount are you using?

I would not use a bottle dynamo, it would have to be a hub dynamo. I have a solar panel charger but it would have been useless over the last few days. They do need considerable amounts of sun to work properly.

I flirted a few years ago with a solar panel to charge a pda on a tour of Finland and Sweden - plenty of daylight and quite a lot of it sunny - not exactly the most ambitious item to try to charge - but it woldn't hack it - solar panels have improved since then but not by the orders of magnitude that would make them a practical viable alternative to a plug in a wall

I thought of going for the USB-Werk but I like the flexibility of the e-Werk and I'll primarily use it for charging a power bank, so no cache battery required (and the cache battery in the USB-Werk was a bit small for my needs). I'd be interested in how you get on with the USB-Werk though.

Ive got a power bank that will be attached for the majority of daylight hours - idea is to charge overnight or just plug it into my tablet and mifi if either go dead - the thing about power banks is they will only charge at a limited rate - my theory is that when im stopped for coffee, shopping, whatever the cache battery will continue to charge the power bank - I hope that it wont be vica versa.

Psmiffy. If you get time, could you post some photos of your set up? which handlebar mount are you using?

1-2016 Rhine CGOB Gen Photo1.jpg

The bracket is a standard B&M one - I emailed B&M and they recommended

470LHK.jpg

B&M 470LHK but they are not on sale in the UK yet - or for that matter at Rose - you might have better luck in Denmark

Top Bottom