Dynaplug worked.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
And your swollocks didn't even get betty, wonderful.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
De-tubelessed my son's MTB just a few days ago. Got fed up of finding his bike tyres randomly soggy for no reason. Got fed up of fighting with the gummed up valves when checking or adjusting the tyre pressures. Got fed up of worrying how messy it was going to be when (not if) he eventually ripped a tyre or managed to unseat the bead from the rim (how were we going to reseat it with just a small hand pump?)
Not sure if the previous owner had overdosed the sealant but I found about half a pint of fluid in each tyre which would have made a terrible latex mess had it had to be tipped out in the wild.
Just got normal, worry free tubes in there now. They have worked perfectly well to me for the last 35yrs so don't see any reason to change now, especially when the 'gains' are so doubtfully.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
That's a £10 repair !
....for when you need to, which is rare.
Most (potential) flats are fixed by the tubeless solution.
Equate this against all the tubes, puncture repairs and general faffing by the side of the road.
It's a fair exchange imo.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
De-tubelessed my son's MTB just a few days ago. Got fed up of finding his bike tyres randomly soggy for no reason. Got fed up of fighting with the gummed up valves when checking or adjusting the tyre pressures. Got fed up of worrying how messy it was going to be when (not if) he eventually ripped a tyre or managed to unseat the bead from the rim (how were we going to reseat it with just a small hand pump?)
Not sure if the previous owner had overdosed the sealant but I found about half a pint of fluid in each tyre which would have made a terrible latex mess had it had to be tipped out in the wild.
Just got normal, worry free tubes in there now. They have worked perfectly well to me for the last 35yrs so don't see any reason to change now, especially when the 'gains' are so doubtfully.

I do see your point.
Many newer tubeless specific rims grip the tyre tightly even when it's completely flat, so the unseating is not a concern.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've never had enough punctures to bother with it on the road, even running premium latex tubes on the best bike (PS top end tyres and latex tubes - the sound is just fabulous).

I've had 2 punctures on the MTB in 2 years, so it's not been worth the mess as I do 'swap' tyres about. I can see the massive benefit on a MTB, but not so convinced on a road bike. It's also messy.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Erm the dynaplugs do not cost that much.
You are right of course.
The container itself is beautifully made and will last forever.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've never had enough punctures to bother with it on the road, even running premium latex tubes on the best bike (PS top end tyres and latex tubes - the sound is just fabulous).

I've had 2 punctures on the MTB in 2 years, so it's not been worth the mess as I do 'swap' tyres about. I can see the massive benefit on a MTB, but not so convinced on a road bike. It's also messy.

Agreed, good cotton wall tyres like Veloflex Open Corsas with latex inners do make a lovely ringing sound and they ride beautifully.

.....and yes, I get very few punctures and in any case a puncture is a good excuse to stop for a bit of banter so I don't begrudge the couple of minutes it takes to fit a new inner tube and inflate it with gas.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I'm in this camp - seems far too messy for so few punctures I get on the MTB.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've yet to be convinced by tubeless, they are reported to be less likely to puncture but they seem a lot of hassle to fit. Punctures are a nuisance but changing a tube by the roadside is no big deal, particularly when you've had lots of practice over the years.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
The big advantage is running lower pressures without getting flats.
Better comfort and better utility on today's potholed roads.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about tubeless. If you've got time and patience to deal with them when they do go wrong, they are really great when everything is going well. I had 8 months trouble free riding, super comfortable commuting on my 700 x 38mm tyres at ridiculously low pressures, 20-30 PSI. I felt like I could ride over crappy road surfaces no sweat, I didn't have any flats through the worst winter in recent memory.

If I had the injector kit to add more sealant, I probably wouldn't have given up on them like I did. Without the kit, to top up your have to pour sealant into the tyre before putting it back on the rim. Sadly, I had loads of grief re-sealing around the rim/bead interface. In the end I just fit tubes because after 3 days of returning to the bike with the rear going flat overnight, I lost trust in them. It sucks not running the lower pressures, but I needed to be on the road promptly for my commute so I couldn't risk more failures, I eventually gave up because tubes are simple.

I might have another go at them this summer. The problem is the sealant dries around the bead/rim and it can be tricky refitting and establishing a new seal without cleaning both up thoroughly. You can't take shortcuts in my experience.

I don't buy the complaint about not being able to pump them up at road side, everyone should carry a tube or two in case of the unlikely event of a total deflation. Also, regarding the claim that flats are no hassle to fix roadside, that's true, but not always. My recent flat at -3degrees, I could have done without that, in the cold, dark and wet, tubeless come into their own, who knows how many times I've been saved from running late to work, fixing tyres at the side of a busy road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom