Dynohub for my Delta

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
For some time I've thought it'd be good to have dynamo-powered lights on both trikes. Yesterday I completed the first of several wheel-builds that've been in the planning. And I'm a little disappointed; not with the end result of day one - no, the built-up wheel looks fine - but with how long it has taken to start. According to the postmark on the box the dynohub was packaged in, it has been on my "to-do" list at least since September 2016.

SON hub build before small.jpg

New (old-stock, IIRC) Schmidt K165 16-20", 184mm standard 14g spokes from JE James cycles, and a cleaned-up and polished 406-21c Mach 1 rim from a donor wheel. Calculations from ProWheelBuilder.com and Edd, with repeated measurement of various dimensions to make sure I ordered the correct length spokes. On-line video/tutorial for a 3-cross lacing from AtomicZombie.

SON hub build after small.jpg

So, late on Boxing Day 2018, I connected up the Spanninga Ellips rear,and the B&M LED Supravision front light, et voila !

SON hub build working small.jpg

Just some tidying-up to do with the connections, then I can swap it in to the front forks of the delta. I might wire in a three way switch - Lights/OFF/Spare (should I want to try powering the Garmin in future, via some AC to USB converter).

Away to go Torchy nice job

OP
OP
Bad Machine

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
OK, so I've wired up and checked the likely position for the lights on the trike, and all is now ready. I picked up a tip to put a QR connector in-line between the hub and the cable to the lights (so the front wheel can be removed easily if required), and I found an old Nokia Bicycle Charger Kit DC-14 that provided a solution to changing the dynamo's AC output to something useful for a phone/battery pack. The hub connection has been sealed with self-amalgamating tape, and made a little more rigid with some application of hot-glue at the point where the cable bends through 90 degrees.

Son Hub connector small.jpg

Lights and Wiring Small.jpg

The rectifier and a three-position switch are housed within a project box, with the cables to front and rear lights joined at a screw strip (I'll shorten the cables once I'm happy where everything sits). So once the dynamo wheel is swapped in, then the switch is key. Centre (position) for minimal drag, Forward for lights, Rear for phone charging.

Last edited:
Top Bottom