Dynohub Free charger.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
andym said:
I've just received the pedalpower universal cable plus bits and pieces. First impressions are that it looks like a polished and professional product. The electronics are in a full-sealed plastic case that's about 75mm long and 15mm square at its widest point. I also bought a charger and a set of accessory tips: although the tips seem to be compatible with the interchangeable tips used by the powerchimp and some other travel charger products.

Only downside was the delivery charge of 49 Australian dollars - but that was for delivery by UPS who were fast - but expensive.

I'll post again wen I've had a chance to give it a good test - not sure when that will be.

Thanks for the info., would be very interested to hear of your experiences with this. A few questions:

* does the unit look waterproof?
* what hub dynamo are you using? Schmidt, Shimano, something else?
* can you leave the dynamo lights permanently plugged into the dynamo or do you need to unplug them the run the Pedalpower?

NB: am assuming you cannot run dynamo lights and charge devices off the Pedalpower at the same time...

Thanks!

oxford_guy

Über Member
Also, which battery charger version did you go for, I notice that they offer a number of different ones? Thanks

andym

Über Member
oxford_guy said:
Thanks for the info., would be very interested to hear of your experiences with this. A few questions:

* does the unit look waterproof?
* what hub dynamo are you using? Schmidt, Shimano, something else?
* can you leave the dynamo lights permanently plugged into the dynamo or do you need to unplug them the run the Pedalpower?

NB: am assuming you cannot run dynamo lights and charge devices off the Pedalpower at the same time...

Thanks!

Yes it does look waterproof. In fact the electronics look sealed into a one-piece moulding that you couldn't pull apart even if you wanted to.

I'm planning to use a Schmidt Dymotec bottle dynamo.

Sorry, I don't know whether you can plug lights into the lead itself, or connect both the lead and the lights to the dynamo. I would think that you could have both connected to the dynamo - but probably not use both at the same time. But you can always email Nicholas Kidd at pedalpower - I'm sure he'll know the answer.

I'm actually planning to use it with a PowerTraveller Powerchimp and 2800 NiMH rechargeables. The battery units from pedalpower have some neat features - eg you can use them to charge more than one device and I think you can charge gizmos from them while recharging the battery) but at the end of the day, the powerchimp seemed like the simpler and cheaper solution (and I already have one!) - touch wood it works of course.

On the subject of powertraveller, as I've just splashed out on a netbook and I'm seriously considering getting their Minigorilla battery unit - although I should say that I've don't know whether this would work with the dynamo - or whether the dynamo would provide enough power to make it worthwhile trying to use it to power a netbook on top of everything else!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The powerchimp is specified to charge its 1800mAh batteries in 5h, so your 2800mAh are going to need 7h50 or thereabouts of charging time. The pedalpower AA charger seems to charge at a similar rate, presumably because both are designed to charge from USB.
I'd reckon that would mean that about 40% of your riding time would be dedicated to keeping a GPS running. Add on phones, torches, MP3, and I doubt there'd be enough left over for a netbook.

andym

Über Member
andrew_s said:
The powerchimp is specified to charge its 1800mAh batteries in 5h, so your 2800mAh are going to need 7h50 or thereabouts of charging time. The pedalpower AA charger seems to charge at a similar rate, presumably because both are designed to charge from USB.
I'd reckon that would mean that about 40% of your riding time would be dedicated to keeping a GPS running. Add on phones, torches, MP3, and I doubt there'd be enough left over for a netbook.

I had a feeling it wasn't a realistic prospect!

oxford_guy

Über Member
Case that will fit Garmin eTrex Vista HCx with bike mount adaptor?

Hi - the standard Garmin case doesn't fit my eTrex Vista HCx GPS when the Garmin bike mount adaptor is attached, does anyone know of a suitable alternative case/bag that would fit it, so the GPS doesn't get knackered when kicking around in my bag off-bike?

NB: I tried the RAM bike mount to attach the eTrex Vista to my bike, which is very secure and doesn't require attaching an adaptor to the GPS unit, but the mount is huge, and draws lots of attention to the unit, so I've gone back to the Garmin mount, even though its crap and rattles, because it doesn't grip the eTrex very securely....

andym

Über Member
It's waterproof - you don't need a case (although a piece of screen protector would definitely be a good idea).

PS you should have put this in a new thread.

oxford_guy

Über Member
andym said:
It's waterproof - you don't need a case (although a piece of screen protector would definitely be a good idea).

I have a screen protector, and am aware its waterproof, just don't want the unit to get too scratched and scuffed when I take it off the bike and its kicking around in my bag...

andym said:
PS you should have put this in a new thread.

I meant to, am not sure how this happened - can I change this?

i have a vista and yes the case is no good for day to day use -the mount is a bit rattly but was all right when it was new - ive given mine a substantial amount of abuse including thowing it across several road and its still in fair nick - the screen is very durable - mine has hardly any damage - its actually the rubber parts that seem to suffer - after a good soaking the glue sem to go a bit - waterproof wise mine has been sat on the handlebars every day for 10hours since the begining of june and has seen some pretty horrible weather without any problems

andym

Über Member
psmiffy said:
the screen is very durable - mine has hardly any damage -

You're obviously way too sensible to put it in your pocket with a set of keys.

oxford_guy said:
I ... just don't want the unit to get too scratched and scuffed when I take it off the bike and its kicking around in my bag...

Put it in the case when you take it off the bike?

oxford_guy

Über Member
andym said:
Put it in the case when you take it off the bike?

It will only fit in the case if you unscrew the bike adaptor that screws into the back of the unit (this then clips onto the rail mount, you see..), which is way too much hassle to do each time I take it off...

Andym - it not a matter of being sensible - I grew out of that ages ago - just never take keys on tour with me - as i posted apart from the rubber protection they are very durable - when mine is not on the bike it lives in the bottom of a nylon shopping bag with all the other junk i take off the bike in the evening

as an aside when i was writing the first post i suddenly coulnt find it -rushed to the toilet block to see if it had gone in the washing machine - that would have been a test of its durability - thankfully it had got put in the bag with my journal

andym

Über Member
oxford_guy said:
It will only fit in the case if you unscrew the bike adaptor that screws into the back of the unit (this then clips onto the rail mount, you see..), which is way too much hassle to do each time I take it off...

Get a different case? eg something like one of these or one of these.

psmiffy: My advice to put on a screen protector came from bitter experience. Keys vs Garmin screen - the keys won.

Top Bottom