E-bay and Fabric Conditioner smells

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I can always tell when my wife has been buying clothes on e-bay. Obviously the first thing that she does after receiving (OK, and checking contents too) is to put them through the wash. I come home to what seems to me to be an overwhelming smell of fabric conditioner.
So, am I particularly sensitive to the smell, do e-bay sellers do a last wash in a vat of the stuff in order for it to smell and feel appropriate, or has fabric conditioner use become much more prevalent (although I never seem smell it on colleagues and friends) than I remember?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Here at work, I sometimes put my base layers on a radiator on the warehouse landing, to dry, after the commute in.

I regularly get compliments from some of the women here and asking me what fabric softener Mrs V uses

I doubt I would get any - if it wasn't masking the smell of sweat

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Really ? What happens to it ?
The conditioner blocks the voids in the fabric designed to wick the moisture away from your body.

The manufacturers explicitly state, "do not use fabric conditioner".

Still, it doesn't matter really, I guess, if you're not a pro, and while your body may be a bit sweatier than it might otherwise have been, at least your base layers smell nice :okay:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I can always tell when my wife has been buying clothes on e-bay. Obviously the first thing that she does after receiving (OK, and checking contents too) is to put them through the wash. I come home to what seems to me to be an overwhelming smell of fabric conditioner.
So, am I particularly sensitive to the smell, do e-bay sellers do a last wash in a vat of the stuff in order for it to smell and feel appropriate, or has fabric conditioner use become much more prevalent (although I never seem smell it on colleagues and friends) than I remember?
I went fragrance free some while ago, and believe me you wouldn't believe how much your own clothes smell of detergents. As for the population in general the overuse is amazing.

postman

Legendary Member
Well well well,just this morning my boxed set came from e bay.It stinks to high heaven,i have cleaned it with wipes,bleach on a cloth and finally furniture spray,it smelled wet and musty,but at £4-56 which included postage it is a bargain.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fabric conditioner has moved over the years from simple lavender-scented softener to couture fragrance for the clothes so perfumers are using more and more fancy raw materials to make the fragrances while fabcon manufacturers are cutting back on the actives and selling a lower and lower active product. Some of the raw materials that can be used in perfume are offensively strong and extremely substantive on synthetic textiles. Some fabcons even contain encapsulated fragrances, which are microsopic resin beads, which break open when you rub the dried cloth and release yet more perfume.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The previous owner of the property that I am now living in had used one of those little 'fragrancing' devices that plugs into a power socket. Despite the fact that the device was empty and had been switched off for months I could smell it from the floor below as soon as I walked into the house for the first time, and I didn't like it. It took about 3 months with the window open to completely rid the room of the artificial smell!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I use fabcon for the feel of it rather than the smell. I might see if I can get an odourless one next time. If it's wet, I dry my clothes on a horse in the spare room (with a dehumidifier), and it can make your eyes water when you first walk into the room

Top Bottom